Alcohol Detection Systems Will Now Be Mandatory In All New Vehicles

It doesn’t it stops you from driving the vehicle that you own

That’s not what I asked. If the car starts and you drive off, what prevents you from drinking while you drive?

But to your answer, if it’s on all vehicles, ownership is not a factor.

Could also shut you down if your social credit score isn’t high enough.

7 Likes

It can “start” but won’t drive

It won’t be mandatory until 2026 at the earliest.

It’s interesting because they say you can start the car, but not move it. So it’s a constant monitoring system. I’m just wondering how easy it would be to circumvent? Gloves would take care of the skin sensor.

Not necessarily they could also make it not start unless skin touched the sensor.

The real question is, what else is buried in there we don’t even know about yet.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s a constant monitoring system.

According to them, you can start it, just not go anywhere.

Why not? I was stone cold sober when I got in the car and put it in gear. Is it going to suddenly shut down if I have a drink out on the freeway doing 70?

1 Like

Again … not my question.

My guess is you’ll get a warning with ample time to pull over. That’s just a guess.

Will it call the cops too? And if not yet, when?

2 Likes

I’m sure there is more info out there this is from the short local article.

“Bud Zaouk, President and CEO of KEA Technologies leads a team of engineers and scientists who are testing and evaluating the DADSS technology. He says it is a non-invasive system.

“You get in the vehicle the sensor will detect if you have alcohol and how much you have alcohol,” Zaouk said. “It will be something that tells you that you are above the legal limit in your state. You can start the vehicle but not allow you to move the car.”

They say no. For now.

And if you ignore the warning and crash the car into a minivan full of grade school soccer players?

2 Likes

Ignore the warning? What if a truck driver ignores his air break warning and wipes out a school bus?

My guess is that it’s a constant monitoring system. If you start drinking while driving it will detect it, then warn you to pull over before it slows you to a stop. Otherwise what would be the point?

Good question. Like what else?

My point exactly.

Someone with that thing you have to blow in to stalled his vehicle in my lane at the toll booth. He couldn’t get it started again. My guess is he did just that. Drank while he was driving.

It was so funny too. It was the first time I ever got to see that thing up close.

1 Like