After years of racial slurs and abuse Meghan and Harry "Quit"

I do not get all the hate towards Markle. It’s like Michelle Obama hate, part II.

They should just cancel the royal family all together. Hard to believe British taxpayers are willing to hand their money over to these people.

The British government makes more money from the Royal Family then they spend on the yearly allowance.

Its quite a good deal for the government.

It’s okay though. The Brits aren’t racist.

Really? How so?

for a fix income the government the Crown give over of control and profit from all Crown property this alone is worth over 7 billion and yearly income over 210 million.

You also account the Crown collection which is worth billions in art, gold, silver, etc which is displayed all that money goes back to the government.

If you factor in tourism the profit goes up even more.

The government pay a fraction of money from all this back to the crown for repairs and upkeep of royal properties.

majority of the crown income comes from their private land ownership like the Duchy of Lancaster.

1 Like

I’m dubious. Don’t the royals “own” all this property and land because the British people gave it to them? It’s not like they did anything to earn it other than being born into the right family. And wouldn’t tourism continue without them? I.E., tourists visit castles and museums, not people.

They took the land by conquest during many many wars in British history, and the UK has no inheritance taxes so land ownership is passed down most of England is privately owned by a very small group of people.

like the Dutchy of Lancaster the main private estate-holdings of the Queen was formed in 1350’s

1 Like

But that being said the government could end the Monarchy and keep all the crown property and the Royal Family would still be one of the richest in UK due to their private holdings.

but the Monarchy is mostly about symbolism at this point.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks.

Its not as good as Game of Throne but the conquest and betrayals of British nobility are quite interesting.

Wouldn’t you say that about anyone who inherited a large estate?

Its one of the reason why America has inheritance taxes.
one of the largest land owners in the UK is 28 his family has been a major player in UK since the 1600’s.
he is worth 16 billion.

No death taxes?

only on “personal wealth”

most of the rich over 50% of all land in the UK is owned by less then 25,000 people (UK has a population of 66 million).

there land is controlled by “Family Trusts” which allows them to avoid all death and inheritance taxes.

This is how a 28 year old fresh out of school became a billionaire in control of one of the largest estates in UK.

Its bonkers in the UK,

Canada is the polar opposite most of our land is owned by the government, mostly because its desolate and no one lives there.

Im somewhat thankful Canada and America were not gobbled up by medieval ideals

Now we still have our baron families but their power and influence limited its not like the Rockefeller own half of NY state

It amazed me how emotionally invested people become over pretty, rich people with problems.

I’m a proud Monarchist but even I find the obsession over their personal lives to be a little sad.
my reason for supporting the Monarch is simple and was pointed out by the first Prime Minster of Canada.

By adhering to the monarchical principle we avoid one defect inherent in the Constitution of the United States. By the election of the president by a majority and for a short period, he never is the sovereign and chief of the nation. He is never looked up to by the whole people as the head and front of the nation. He is at best but the successful leader of a party. This defect is all the greater on account of the practice of reelection. During his first term of office he is employed in taking steps to secure his own reelection, and for his party a continuance of power. We avoid this by adhering to the monarchical principle—the sovereign whom you respect and love. I believe that it is of the utmost importance to have that principle recognized so that we shall have a sovereign who is placed above the region of party—to whom all parties look up; who is not elevated by the action of one party nor depressed by the action of another; who is the common head and sovereign of all

fun note Canada was going to be called the Kingdom of Canada but we changed it to the Dominion of Canada because it would upset America less :smile:

The fear of American invasion of North America was one of the core reason for the colonies of Canada to unite into a single country.

1 Like

I mean we tried and failed twice at it.

Damn your cold weather.