According to AOC a world with defunded police looks like a suburb

This is true but this was like mid five figures dude owed-from what I heard-which an American drug dealer would straight up kill you for.

most crime in Canada is run by the Mob or Bikers they don’t like killing people to high profile.

A long time ago, I met some Quebecois Hell’s Angel’s who definitely break that stereotype.

Hell Angels are fine if you pay your debts.
Iv been to a few clubs owned by them in Montreal, just mind your manners and don’t try and scam the dancers

but I had family that grew up right in the middle of the Quebec Biker wars it was blood bath.

I used to hang out with some HA guys, as a general rule they’re cool as long as you don’t ■■■■ with them.

But the guys from Quebec that showed up one day were some bad dudes. Not sure what exactly what they were running from, but I’ve read some histories since then about the Biker Wars, and I can make some guesses.

This would have been just after Boucher went to jail.

It was crazy time in Montreal my cousin was like 15/16 and wonder around the city police everywhere.

So I’ve read.

Hanson brothers. Yeah, I saw it. Funny.

Great movie, not so much in modern hockey but they use to have people on the team who’s sole job was fighting and protecting players.

people like Dave Gemenko where pretty much just goons if you tried to attack Gretzky he would beat your face in.

1 Like

Just to tie this whole weird part of the conversation together - I was introduced to my previously mentioned HA friends (before the Quebec guys showed up) by Bob Probert, arguably one of the best enforcers in the history of the NHL.

Probert didn’t even play Hockey, he just showed up to fight people.

1 Like

Never heard of it.

You’ve never seen Slapshot?

You should, it’s very good.

Piece of Canadian History.

The Hanson brothers are three super polite Canadian hockey players that are goons on the ice.

NHL players are generally remarkably down to Earth for professional athletes. Considering how terrible say NFL players are. Even Crosby, who is I believe an organic android programmed to play hockey and nothing else (the other Pens had to drag him out to drink even when they won the back to back Cups), is pretty nice in person. I had a chatty relationship with Matt Cooke when I worked for them too.

I liked Goon with Stifler from the American Pie movies. Though the best part of the movie is the footage during the credits of the real guy beating the snot out of people.

2 Likes

Yeah. Bob was mostly a nice guy, and very down to earth - but he was going through some bad ■■■■■ health-wise when I knew him.

In retrospect, the fact that his autopsy showed evidence of CTE explains a lot.

I really like this “subscription service” way of describing it.

which is odd because Hockey is one of the most violent sports.

I wasn’t allowed to play Hockey growing up because according to my mom her brothers played and there all a bunch of goons so I played baseball and was made fun of every year by my classmates.