A devastating question to the Left and the NeverTrumpers

Yes, yes they would. Soon they will try to put Rudy Giuliani in jail, just like they often do to their political opponents.

This raises a not-so-startling question to be posed to the Trump crowd: Would you want Trump convicted and or brought up on charges if you KNEW the evidence against him was irrefutable?

1 Like

Freudian slip? Convicted first; brought up on charges second.

Certainly, if there is compelling evidence of crime/s, Trump should be brought up on impeachment charges and perhaps convicted. However, that’s not what we have here. Here we have a lust for impeachment driving a failing search for crimes, so that the lust can be satisfied.

1 Like

Since the senate won’t convict why do you care?

The rule of law is foundational to the American culture and social order. If the frankensteinian case cobbled together by Pelosi and Schiff makes it past a vote in the House, is legally insubstantial, wouldn’t you want the Senate to reject it? But if it has legal substance to beyond reasonable doubt standards, I would expect the Senate to acknowledge that.

Impeachment is political process and not a criminal one.

There is no requirement that a criminal “substance to beyond reasonable doubt standards” apply. If the President is found to have abused his position then Congress has the authority under the Constitution to remove him from office and also bar him from ever holding office again - which would be the final nail in the coffin of his 2020 reelection.

If Congress does not remove him from office, follow-on criminal proceedings will have to wait until he looses in 2020. If Congress does remove him from office, follow-on criminal proceedings can commence immediately after removal.
.^^^^

How’s that impeachment burger coming along, anyway? :thinking:

Actually it looks pretty good, Trump and his staff keep adding condiments making a more eclectic final product.

See Mulvaney (sp?) interview yesterday were he put his foot in his mouth and tried to walk it back.
.^^^^

1 Like

I’m not a fanboy, so I’ll just have to take that whole interview point with a grain of salt.

So basically, you think it’s gonna happen?

I think the likelihood has been increasing over the last week with Trump and his officials screwing the pooch.

Do I think he will be convinced in the Senate? No. Not yet. McConnell will have a very accurate nose count going into the trial, throughout the trail, and when they get ready to vote. He can pretty much guarantee that every DEM will vote to impeach Trumps abuse of power. There is a (IIRC) 2/3rds requirement to convict. Mitch will release just enough GOP Senators to vote in favor of impeachment that will result in a vote just shy of conviction. Those Senators to be released will be those in the most contested Senate reelection races.

The above is subject to change in the future depending on if Trump continues to screw things up.
.^^^^

1 Like

So, as of now, a nothing burger in the end? Possibly impeached, but no further action attainable?

How…exciting for the left. :neutral_face:

I think the impeachment process is going to lay bare a lot of ways the Trump administration has been abusing power beyond the attempt at a Trump Dossier.

Trump lost the General Election in 2016 running against HILLARY CLINTON. Let that sink in HILLARY. The only reason he won was because he was an unknown quantity and by a fluke of the Electoral College which he wont because of a mere 77,000 vote in three states because the DEMs didn’t pay much attention to those States. That’s 0.061% and now he has a political record that he will have to defend.

I don’t think the DEMs will make the same mistake again.

There are 30-35% of voters that are Trumps base supporters. They won’t be impacted by any of this. Those same voters will vote for anyone with an (R) by their name even a NY Liberal Democrat. Then there are the 30-35% that will vote for anyone with a (D) by their name. The election will be that 30% left of center and right of center voters that can be influenced.
.^^^^

You might hope Dems won’t make the same mistake again, but y’all have absolutely no hope or chance of beating Trump in 2020, sans a successful impeachment/prosecution.

At best, this is a desperate attempt to keep a Republican out in 2024, the same way it kept the Climate Crusader out.

Whose “ya’ll”. I’ve voted for a GOP candidate for every Presidential election sense 1978 when I could first vote.
.^^^^

I had no idea you voted for Trump. My mistake.

.^
I said I vote for a GOP candidate, not the GOP Nominee.

I voted for Kasich in the primaries and again in the general.
.^^^^

2 Likes

.^
Thinking and warning fellow GOP members even back in 2015/2016 that Trump was a mistake that we would regret and would be bad for the American does not make one a dem mole.

But I see you are down to the name calling stage.

Have a nice day.
.^^^^

I made an honest effort to hear out a well-articulated plan for this impeachment fiasco, but they turned out to be false hopes, and the responses are getting more and more ridiculous. I can only take so much hope and change like that. lol

1 Like

It’s not a freudian slip. Have you not been following?

The President won’t be charged with anything while he is in office. If he is convicted by the Senate during his impeachment trial, he very well could face criminal charges after that.

So, in what ways do you think Trump has impeachably abused his position?