A Country That Got Corona Response Right

Another really good observation.

How about when it is mandated rather than requested?

Yes. “medical masks” include disposable surgical mask. I think some places in the US had trouble stocking them for a few days at the start -but not long term. Not talking N95 maks, but just the basic medical masks.
May have been like TP, where there was a run on them for a time, but majority of people got em and the stores kept supplying them.
If we (all of our leaders) pushed for people to wear them starting in Jan - I think a overwhelming majority of people would have.

I just did.

Car seats / Seat belts / pants…
All mandated.

@JayJay - I think you are correct about your observation. Me personal -Masks with a functioning economy and declining cases look less like a 3rd world country then people in masks. But that’s just me.

Anyway -Masks were just 1 thing they did that helped. I think we could have done a lot of it. I think even the phone app could work if we made it voluntary (its what New Zealand and Australia did. They created a app that does a handshake with every device you come close to that has the app. If anyone who has the app tests positive, everyone that device did a digital handshake with gets a alert and if there is a common area where lots of infections took place, its looked at.

100% volunteer. Google maps is also 100% volunteer but works pretty well to alert me on where Traffic is.

I thought there were nurses quitting because of masks?

You are confusing medical masks (Like disposable Surgical masks) with masks like N95.
There are different degrees of medical masks. Working at a hospital during a pandemic I would not want to be there with only a paper / disposable / medical masks.

With an airborne illness, requests don’t do much. If a few people don’t wear the mask, it just sets us ALL back.

“You argue that…” is not asking. You probably don’t even realize you are doing it anymore. It seems to have become a national reflex.

Anytime you do that to me, you’re going to get a standard response.

Don’t try to summarize me, reduce me or frame anything I say.

1 Like

Fair point. How did threatening fining and jailing work out? A lot of people don’t respond well to threats. I’m one of them.

1 Like

No I’m not.

Have you not argued that this is like the flu and will have to run it’s course? Am I mistaking you for another poster?

Then your admiration for the effectiveness or Taiwan’s response is pointless.

It worked in Taiwan because they tested and traced, and most everyone followed the rules.

Young people were spring breaking true but at the same the New York subways are still running. I can’t think of any type of vehicle even a cruise ship that wasn’t more perfectly made for easy transferring of the virus.

Is “just the flu” the same as “just like the flu”? It is like the flu; it is a respiratory virus. It is going to have to run its course, which is exactly what it is doing. We can’t cure a respiratory virus. We never have.

It is transmitted the same. The mitigations are the same. If COVID continues to not attack children, that is a plus. There are many more similarities than differences, especially on our end.

Tell me something, when you look at Taiwan’s success, do you credit government of the people more?

Or

Pick.

And “rules”?

Taiwan did targeted testing. Travel and symptoms.

More like the same size as the NY metro area.

Ok, I thought about that and looked. Nothing confirming it was easily available.

Fair point. Does it change anything?

No, it doesn’t change a thing. Taiwan appears to be getting this right.

If the NY metropolitan area had the same numbers as Taiwan, what would the US look like?