680 lawbreakers arrested and hopefully will be sent home .

Interesting that no one seems to think of this as a a labor “market” – an exchange of labor for salary. Meat packers offer salaries and benefits that are not high enough to attract citizen labor but have found they can generate greater profits by expanding the labor pool to those (illegals) who are willing to accept lower salaries.

If the meatpacking industry offered competitive salaries then citizens would take those jobs. Illegal immigrants would want them to, but then its a straight-forward hiring process.

When prices for goods are goods are too high, there is pressure for prices to come down and no one argues that consumers who won’t pay high prices are to blame. But when wages are too low, many here jump in to blame citizens for refusing to accept low wages.

Why are people so quick to abandon the free market…We know companies prefer cheap illegal labor but why are folks suggesting the substitute is cheap citizen labor?

1 Like

And remember – that $37.00 per employee is deductible from corporate taxes as a business expense so the actual outlay is lower.

There is no political will to deport someone who has lived here 9 years.

Nope.

The new hire pays for the background check as part of the hiring process. They either bring a Money Order (there is a Post Office one block over) or the cost is payroll deducted from their first paycheck.
:slight_smile:
.^^^^

My error. Interesting.

The CEO knew what was going on, didnt care as the 680 we making massive profits for the company.

The 680 will be replaced and were, are and always will be replaceable.

Allan

President Obama also had companies pay fines although not nearly as much.

Allan

Creating a crisis one at a time…

PS. It was the first day of school…

They should keep tagging the employers.

In one thread people ponder the impact of single parent families while in another they celebrate creating NO parent families.

3 Likes

Thank god we will be safe from factory workers.

In the meantime, McGee said the district had made after school arrangements for the children affected. As for the coming days, he said the main focus is "supporting families.

“We’ll worry about the school part of it after we get all this sorted out,” he said. "You can’t expect a child to stay focused on the schoolwork when he’s trying to focus on where Mom and Dad are.

"We all know there is a bigger picture in all this. We’re not here to navigate those waters, we’re here to try to help families get together as best they can."

The superintendent sounds like he has his doo-doo together and has helped curtail this potential crisis.

1 Like

You do realize that most of those arrested will be released on humanitarian grounds. Correct?

Nope…I didn’t but I also have no objection. I just want the laws enforced and all treated as humanely as possible.

1 Like

So what was the point of the raid?

Are they here legally? Is the employer breaking our laws? Were there illegals among them that have committed other crimes? Did they use false documentation to gain employment?

1 Like

These are all great questions to be asking of the EMPLOYER, yet they sent 680 EMPLOYEES to detention for a couple of days…

This coin has two sides and they both need to be addressed…although…the employer IS the bigger problem.

Were any employers arrested during the raids?

IDK and I’d also ask, were the employment records that would be used to prosecute the employer confiscated?