50 die in Samoa of get this measles

Bumping thread as new thread on this was posted.

What’s with these hospitals making the flu vaccine mandatory for employees? Is the government behind this bs? Or are the hospitals just doing it to get a little kick back from medicare?

The Island of Samoa is in crisis its pretty bad down there right now.

The government of Samoa is shutting down all public services for two days to fight a measles outbreak that has killed more than 55 people and infected thousands of others in the South Pacific island nation over the past two months.

Nearly 3,900 cases of measles have been reported in the country, whose population is just 200,000. Schools have been shuttered since the government declared the outbreak a national emergency last month.

The shutdown, which will take place Thursday and Friday, comes amid a resurgence of measles in dozens of countries in recent years. Worldwide, more than 140,000 people died from measles last year, according to estimates released Tuesday by the World Health Organization and the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention.

The rest of the story: Editorial: Samoa measles outbreak shows what happens when anti-vaxxers win
In July 2018, two young children died shortly after being injected with a contaminated measles-mumps-rubella vaccine in a clinic in Samoa. A nurse, it turned out, had mixed the vaccine powder with expired muscle relaxant instead of water. It was a tragic error that cut two lives short and sent the nurse and another colleague to prison for negligence.

No wonder people are (wrongly) scared.

Unfortunately occasionally you need a mass outbreak of a completely preventable disease for people to realize what a true blessing vaccinations are.

Medical Errors are one of the leading causes of death in the US, unfortunately people frequently can’t separate the two.

That simply is not true. The Johns Hopkins paper listing 250,000 - 400,000 deaths per year due to medical error used horrific methodology and makes no logical sense. If those numbers were true, nearly half of all yearly hospital deaths would be from medical error. Unfortunately that number and paper have caught on similar to Wakefield and his debunked autism/vaccination article. Even after being disproved, people still believe…

Here is more information on the poor methodology of that Johns Hopkins article.

The more accurate number is close to 5,000 deaths per year attributed to medical error alone. This has actually fallen by 20% over the last 25 years when adjusting for population.

2 Likes

They’re trying to reduce everything from employee absenteeism to death of immune suppressed patients from a virus that’s largely preventable?

Neighboring Rhode Island requires health care workers to get the flu shot or wear a face mask. One nurse refused the shot and said the mask gave her headaches.

She was canned. Good riddance!

And it’s funny the flu shot provokes so much reaction when mandatory MMR vaccination or lab report of immunity status to enter college doesn’t seem to generate even a peep; tb testing to get everything from a V A job to lawful permanent residence in the U S is never discussed; and no one seems to have any trouble at all with students entering nursing programs undergoing the three part Heptovax.

Mention flu shot (influenza can and does kill, particularly those with weakened immune systems) and the reaction is :scream: and :exploding_head:.

Why ever is that?

I also find it interesting there’s virtually no dialogue at all about encouraging expectant mothers to undergo prenatal genetic screening that is STRICTLY a screening and often not accurate, leading to possible death of a perfectly healthy baby—not to mention doctors encouragement of women to abort their babies.

Yet make a vaccination that prevents disease and its spread to vulnerable populations who cannot receive the vaccination, and all of Hell and its minions break loose.

Someone has some explaining to do here.

Your body either belongs to you, or the government. Which is it?

Both.

My choices are mine, but endangerment of another is NOT a freedom.

Seems a bit odd to me many cons don’t want the unborn aborted, but they consider endangering the life of unborn children, pregnant women and others with compromised immunity who cannot be immunized their own personal freedom.

Most unusual application of choice, IMO. Incidentally I don’t support either unfettered abortion rights or forgoing vaccines against communicable diseases, unless unable to tolerate the vaccination.

Also, if you sign on the dotted line to live under the UCMJ, doesn’t the body in a sense become U S Armed Forces property? The adultery that gets one in most states a divorce can get one of the Less than Honorable discharges from the Service. I once knew a soldier whose sunburn :hot_face: got him in trouble for Defacing Government Property

Either you have the right to use your body as a vehicle to kill others, or you don’t. Which is it?

I also find it interesting that many who question the efficiency of vaccines fail to question the useless mantra of starting mammograms at 40.

Women who have not undergone a complete menopause tend to have more dense breasts, making them more likely to get “changes” that lead to re-dos on mammograms and what, for the most part, leads to unnecessary ultrasound and, in fewer cases, biopsies that, for the most part, are negative.

They have a problem with mandatory vaccines that prevent highly communicable diseases, but not with mandatory insurance coverage or physicians encouragement of mammograms starting at for most is a premenopausal age—when it’s more likely to be inaccurate and generate mental anguish and money wasted on often unnecessary further testing.

Very interesting :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

How bout if you are in the military, your body sure doesn’t belong to you. Lol.

Allan

OK then.

That post was so ignorant, it’s as if there’s still a draft. lol

I have found that people against vaccines are on both sides of the political spectrum. There are a lot of people here in Washington state who doesn’t approve and I think Oregon leads the nation in anti-vaccine. This is one of the few issues that goes across party lines.

I myself am vaccinated as is my one child.

I don’t speak for cons, and I have more vaccinations than any of you in this thread, guaranteed.

I do have something to say in support of people who don’t want to be vaccinated, because it’s their body, and their choice if they want needles in their arm or not.

Right now, it’s them versus generic little keyboard warriors who think people disagreeing with their perverted basement views should be persecuted. Who to side with? :thinking:

I’ve been in conversations exactly like this with members of the Taliban, HiG, Kuchi, al-Qaeda, etc… They all think precisely along the lines of dehumanizing, jailing, and killing people who are different. Same stupid logic, always by people who seek to have everyone else in the world do as they say and not as they do.

What you can tell your co that you don’t like vaccines and won’t get any.

Lol how is that going to work for you.

Allan

You’ve already made your position and your ignorance quite clear, Allan. There’s no need to repeat yourself. :wink:

You’re equating someone who refuses to be vaccinated and becomes a vector for a fatal illness with penalizing people who are “different?” Last time I checked, simply being a member of a political party, religion, sexual orientation, etc. doesn’t kill someone unless acted upon by an outside force. Fatal diseases most certainly kill without outside help.

1 Like