50 die in Samoa of get this measles

Your first statement is in error. The Samaon government has declared a state of emergency and vaccinations are now mandatory. Given the magnitude of the crisis, likely a justified approach.

The second statement doesn’t reflect anything that has been said in the thread. What I have heard are anti-vaxxer comments by a couple of users, not comments against healthcare for poor people. The comments are unfortunate in the context of being anti-vaxxer, not in the context of elitism or healthcare for the poor.

Mandatory doesn’t mean they are being refused or forced in the context that people are twisting it.

The whole implication of this thread is based on anti-vaxxer nonsense from the last decade, including interpreting mandatory as something bad.

1 Like

As you well know, that cannot and will not fly in the United States.

Yes the anti-vaxxers are morons.

But the concept of ordered liberty and personal rights in the United States limits what government can directly do in regards to compulsion.

HOWEVER.

The government could do much INDIRECTLY.

They could adopt a version of the Australian NO JAB, NO PAY policy. If you cannot verify your children AND YOURSELF and YOUR SPOUSE are fully up to date on vaccinations, the government could stop payments such as food stamps and other welfare and withhold your federal tax refund. You could be denied your own personal tax exemption and any child exemptions if proof of vaccination does not exist. Children could be barred from college savings programs until vaccinated.

Families could be publicly shamed by having their names publicized if vaccinations are not given.

Anti-fraud laws could be strengthened, requiring anybody posting or parroting anti-vaxxer propaganda to indicate they have no professional qualifications and that their statements have no peer reviewed scientific or medical validity and would provide penalties for those violating the law. Certain exemptions would apply, such as to anonymous posts at Hannity and other similar message boards.

There is also the option to strengthen child abuse laws to include injury from lack of vaccination.

1 Like

My second statement was a jab, yes, because the “concern” in this thread is simply snark of it’s own.

Did you consent when you were in the military. Lol.

I will give you the short answer. No.

You did what you were told to do by a superior.

And you did it.

Allan

1 Like

No one has the right to be a preventable disease vector.

1 Like

Ignorance is abound on your part in this thread, like how you just assumed that I’m “anti-vax”. Generic wannabe dictators always stumble over their own toes like that. :wink:

1 Like

Actually, it is due to a horrible mistake by 2 nurses. The World Health Organization and UNICEF estimated that Samoa’s measles vaccination rate for infants was just 31% in 2018. That’s down from about 60% to 70% in earlier years and a high of 90% in 2013.

The drop may be partly explained by the tragic deaths of two infants in July 2018, according to the WHO. The infants died on the same day at the same hospital, shortly after they had each received what was supposed to be an MMR vaccine (which protects against measles, mumps, and rubella).

While some quickly blamed the vaccine itself, officials later determined that two nurses had improperly prepared the immunizations. Investigators found that they had mixed in a lethal dose of muscle relaxant, and one of the nurses tried to cover up the error by taking the empty bottle of the muscle relaxant home after retrieving it from the garbage. The two faced charges of manslaughter and were both sentenced to five years in prison in August of this year.

If I recall correctly, you consented when you signed your enlistment contract at MEPS, which spelled out what was expected of you and what the government would provide in return.

If it effects society as whole. You betcha. Anti-Vaxxers are killing and sickening children.

Allan

1 Like

https://www.thetcanada.com/2019/11/19/samoa-measles-outbreak-samoa-receives-support-from-australia/

It appears the epidemic started in New Zealand and spread from there.

Really not familiar with this part of the world. The Samoan islands are U S protectorates, no?

Would health care there mimic that in the U S, where vaccines aren’t withheld from needy children?

Is it possibly a matter of lack of access to public health clinics? Any anti vaccination movement there, or Australia or New Zealand?

Really can’t offer much but questions here, but I am sorry they are experiencing the devastation of an easily preventable disease.

Nope. It is.

The above is a list of symptoms and complications the anti vaccination movement thinks they should be legally able to spread to others who can’t get vaccinated due to age or immunosuppression.

Really, some poor soul chooses to smoke cigarettes and isn’t lighting up around me, more power to him. Take a little toke and stay off the roads? Enjoy your journey somewhere safe.

But refuse to vaccinate your children and those who can’t receive ‘em suffer, that IS a choice that affects others and, barring health state or allergy, shouldn’t be permissible to make.

The Western Islands of Samoa are the independent nation of Samoa. It is fully sovereign and a member of the British Commonwealth, but is in voluntary association with New Zealand, which provides its defense and other services.

The Eastern Islands of Samoa are American Samoa, a territory of the United States. American Samoa is not effected by the measles outbreak.

1 Like

Drugs? Seriously?

Get a little more than halfway through the article it’ll say what MMR vaccination IS.

Endangering others who cannot receive vaccines should not be a legitimate choice, IMNSHO.

Thanks!

I knew some were under the U S & residents can come and go as they like from the U S. I do believe they settle in biggers numbers in western states like Colorado and Washington.

I’ll bet the internet told you to believe that claptrap too. :rofl:

Lol as I said before my family was and is in public health.

Doesn’t take a genius to see that vaccines are good for a society as a whole.

Allan

1 Like

I’m sure that’s a great excuse to dehumanize people who don’t think like you do and clap on about how they should be in prison. :wink:

Dehumanize anti-Vaxxers. Throwing people in jail is the betterment of society.

At least in jail they will be forced to conform.

Allan

You already said that. Keep going. This deployment nostalgia is great. :wink: