291 in Florida issued concealed carry licenses who shouldnt have been

In your opinion. In the States that do not require a permit to carry a concealed weapon, it is called “Constitutional Carry.” After all, the Constitution does say “ … shall not be infringed.”

It should be noted that in those States, there are still rules that outline the responsibility of being a concealed gun bearer just like in the States that do require a permit, it’s just that the responsibility for complying with those rules rests entirely on the individual. The Constitution does not absolve individuals of being held responsible for their actions.

Yes, they are.

The 2nd Amendment is my thin air. The bear part.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. Ratified December 1791.

A states view of the United states constitution is irrelevant without a adjoining SCOTUS opinion.

Take for instance Jersey’s attempt to allow sports betting. Their view was that PASPA was unconstitutional. Their view was also held by SCOTUS opinion.

states can call laws anything they want but it is not truly “constitutional carry” until SCOTUS upholds their stance.

They have not.

Allan

Felons get infringed all the time. I dont see anybody in Supermax arguing for bearing arms.

There are regulations placed on every right, the second no different.

Allan

we two citizens will argue this point ad infinitium.

just a disagreement among the citizens of this nation (one nation of course)

Allan

The Tenth Amendment says you are wrong.

Felons lost their right to not have their 2nd Amendment Rights be infringed upon through due process under the 5th Amendment. Without going through due process, the government does not have the right to infringe upon anyone’s rights. That they do so, is an unconstitutional abuse of power … the very thing the Founders hoped to prevent when they penned the BoR.

Felons are not being “infringed” they lose their rights upon conviction.

WR, There is nothing in the constitution about felons not being under the second.

Repeat after me. “the felon exception to the second is a common sense regulation of the amendment”

see that was easy.

Allan

Florida has 1.7 million concealed carry permit holders, and you’re worried about 291 of them not being as thoroughly checked as the rest of them are?

Really?

All applications were not checked. read the article.

Allan

I did read the article.

They estimate 291 permits out of the 1.7 million should not have been granted. That’s not a very high number, and it points to the fact Florida is doing a bang up job all things considered.

If they weren’t being that careful, the number would be a helluva lot higher than 291 don’t you think?

They did NOT do the background checks as required by Florida law.

Allan

Again, it’s 291 out of 1.7 million.

If they were just pencil whipping them, that number would be exponentially higher.

You’re expecting perfection, which isn’t possible.

I expect them to follow the law as written.

Allan

Felons get infringed all the time. I dont see anybody in Supermax arguing for bearing arms.

There are regulations placed on every right, the second no different.

Allan

Rights can be taken away by due process (per the 5th and 14th Amendments). That’s the only reason we can punish somebody by prison (or death) at all. Rights cannot be taken away by a simple law, but can only be taken away by due process–basically, a trial or court hearing. This can only be done for an individual, not the population as a whole.

I expect them to follow the law as written.

Allan

I agree, also. The employee/department involved should be investigated and punished. As I said in another post, this makes me doubt my previous support for Adam Putnam for governor. I will probably vote for his opponent, until I hear a good resolution of this problem.

Rights are what SCOTUS says they are. SCOTUS interprets the constitution and tell us what our rights are. For instance before the miranda ruling the police did not have to tell you had the right to be silent after arrest. That is not to incriminate yourself.

Its not the constitution that guarantees rights, its SCOTUS.

Allan

Allan