10 killed, 15 injured in van attack in downtown Toronto

I either misread or mistyped that then, early in the mornin :grin:. Also these smilies suck.

Wait till ya find out how the scandies treat murderer inmates, that’d really upset ya.

Seems to work a lot better than our method though.

A judge can issue a indeterminate sentence which is pretty much life but those are rare.

outside of Maximum Canadian prison are similar low security have better quality of living then most college dorms.

the Canadian system is very much based on reforming over punishment.

Unfortunately the UK has followed the US model, even going so far as to copy the private prisons. It’s been a predictable disaster here too, though our recidivism rate isn’t as bad as the US.

But some would rather go with the punishment route, even when the results are far worse.

Ridiculous but not surprising. What’s also ridiculous is having people convicted of theft in the same prison as someone who committed murder.

I don’t think that’s a bad idea for people serving time for non violent crimes.

If there system is anything like ours they can probably be out in considerably less time than the 25 with good time and parole.

We have a lot of open low security prisons in the US as well where the inmates live very decent lives.

Further reading of the article shows this is not typical, it is an example of what is basically a halfway house for prisoners about to be released at the end of their sentences where they are learning to integrate into the population after release.

outside of him taking a peal for mental health there is no way he doesn’t end up in Maximum security.

And that’s where he belongs. Many eyewitnesses reported his actions appeared to be very deliberate. 10 counts of first degree murder, and several counts of attempted murder.

They also have closed prisons, yes. But even in them the treatment prisoners receive is VASTLY different than in the US. And I’d argue is a big reason for their low recidivism rate.

They’re doing something right. But it’s considered soft and left-wing so it gets dismissed out of hand.

You can argue it but you can’t show it to be true.

We don’t have repeat offenders because they just can’t wait to get back into prison except in exceptionally rare cases where the offender has spent so much time behind bars they feel like they are on an alien planet outside.

Why didn’t you put this in the 2nd Amendment subforum?

Within mere moments of this story showing up on the yahoo feed, 9 out of every 10 comments were people assuming it was one of those evil brown Muslims.

It is Canada. Has nothing to do with US gun laws or police training. American Waffle House shooter seems to have more of a bearing in my world.

There wasn’t a gun involved?

Man, just think of the uproar if people in our country were purposely targeting and killing others every 54 minutes with vans. Heck, forget every 54 minutes. Just think if it was 4 times a week or something. Or if they were catapulting vans out of windows at concert goers.

Where’s CNN’s town hall and the camera Hogg…

shouldn’t assume they are brown…