$1.3 TRILLION Added To Debt Since Last Dec

Tea party is looking more like a protest about Obama being black more and more.

5 Likes

Look, you donā€™t have to antagonize me, Iā€™m not on team red, but the thing is the debt was still anticipated to climb and accelerate. Trumpā€™s policies have pressed the gas pedal on debt expansion. Itā€™s not getting paid off, I donā€™t see a realistic path to that outcome. Maybe we can shift to an argument of how much debt we are willing to live with, or how much debt relative to GDP or whatever, then we can have another made up argument for a while until we blow past those numbers.

Sweet, we care about the debt again! I was starting to worry. lol

1 Like

Here is the cynical answer.

The GOP will live with as much debt as they can generate as long as they are in power. Once they lose powerā€¦ the debt will be a big deal again.

My personal answer is this.

The tax cuts that were passed a year ago were done all wrong. There was a way to bring down the corporate tax rate and close loopholes that would have made the cuts near revenue neutral.

Any real cut should have happened in the middle classā€¦ but the middle class kind of got screwed in that deal.

So those two things in the tax code would have to be reversed.

As far as showing up social securityā€¦ something that is really frustrating because we have known that this was going to be a problem for decades now.

A lot of it can be shored up by lifting the cap on where payroll taxes stop contributing and we may even have to bump the payroll tax up a percent or two to cover what we have known was going to be an expense for way too long now.

My own personal opinion is that there should be a raise on taxes from unearned income to pay for a tax cut on earned income. I have never understood why my capital is taxed at a much lower rate than me getting up out of bed and selling my labor.

3 Likes

Antagonize? All I did was ask that you post the actual CBO projection you referred toā€¦geesh

Dems always have. Thatā€™s why Clinton left with a surplus and Obama decreased the deficit he inherited by almost $1trillion. Obama also decreased spending as a % of GDP

Thatā€™s cute. Real cute. lol

1 Like

Theyā€™re just trying to run up the debt before the interest payments explode and they have to live within their means on their income (Taxes) or raise taxes. Like the alcoholic going to rehab has one last hurrah the night before.

Itā€™s a fact. I see you cant dispute it. Obama I herited a $1.3trillion deficit and cut it by 50%+ by the time he left. Too bad you and the GOP with Trump doubled what they inherited. They didnt even have a recession to deal with. Itā€™s also a fact Obama cut federal spending as a % of GDP. Do you not like facts?

Now that yours and every other former memberā€™s posts from that era are gone, of course itā€™s a fact in your mind now. The forum change was super convenient like that. lol

1 Like

It is a fact. Clinton left with a surplus. Obama cut the deficit he inherited by 50%+. Obama cut federal spending as a % of GDP. As soon as you and the GOP take total control, you DOUBLED the deficit back to 2009 levels at FULL EMPLOYMENT.

Facts.

Democrats are better with deficits.

Never mind the whole doubling of 200+ years of national debt in less than 8 years, but hey, Dems have always cared about debt. Sure. lol

OR - hear me out - or, we could be honest with ourselves and just admit that 4 years ago, dems didnā€™t give a good damn about the debt then, and cons donā€™t give a damn now.

Hell with that, right? Go team (R )etar( D)!!! :popcorn:

1 Like

What does the forum have to do with the established facts of debt and deficit?

Time after time itā€™s the same thing.

Democrats try to approach the problem like adults and manage to cut the deficit.

Republicans, claiming to be the party of fiscal responsibility, claim things arenā€™t improving quickly enough.

They then take power by lying to the American people, pass a bunch of poorly thought out tax cuts for rich people, deregulate, and blow up military spending even more.

The deficit once again explodes and Democrats are left to fix the mess they were left. Rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

Obana inherited a $1.3trillion deficit and 800,000 jobs being lost a month. He CUT it by 50%+. Thatā€™s just a painful fact for cons. You guys, DOUBLED the deficit :rofl:

1 Like

4 years ago the deficit was roughly 1/3 of what it is projected to be this year.

Iā€™d say cutting the deficit they inherited by 50%+, or leaving with a surplus, or reducing federal spending as a % of GDP after a financial crisis they inherit is caring. Oh and Iā€™m not talking GOP. :rofl:

So, your answer is no, you canā€™t admit that neither side actually gives a damn. Thatā€™s OK. :wink:

PS, this is the most garbage thing Iā€™ve ever seen a forum do. Donā€™t talk to the same person more than three times on a social media site? lol

Now youre being disengenuous which shows youā€™re argument is bankrupt. What was $100 worth 200 years ago? Obama inherited $1.3trillion deficit and 800000 jobs lost a month. You guys inherited FULL EMPLOYMENT and then doubled the deficit. Hahahaha

Iā€™d say cutting the deficit you inherit by 50%+ and reducing spending as a % of GDP is caring. Not like cons who double the deficit to 2009 levels at full employment :rofl:

1 Like

I get it, team continuity requires that what Obama did was (D)ifferent and the Orange Man is bad. :popcorn: