Your State and Unemployment Insurance

So I’m listening to the news while painting the entry way. Sen. Scott (FL) was doing an interview and he made a statement that struck me as odd. He said he’s been told that restaurants and service fields are going to have a problem getting workers to come to work because they will make more money on unemployment then they would if they return to work.

Below is the Virginia (were I live) requirement for Unemployment Insurance.

I don’t know about in FL, but here in VA if you quit your job, you don’t qualify. If your employer calls you back after being laid off and you refuse, you no longer qualify. If you are terminated for refusing to work when your employer calls you in - that’s termination for cause and you don’t qualify. The idea that “I can make more in unemployment, then I can by going back to work” means you don’t qualify.
So the idea that someone who gets laid off and gets unemployment, then looses unemployment when they are called back to work and refuse - makes no sense.
.WW, PHS

It makes complete sense if you understand how one would have to lie to themselves and others to keep poorer citizens from maybe getting enough money on their pocket to weather through this crises.

6 Likes

Yea, in my state you need to show you are applying for jobs. I have no problem with having a clause in the bill that if you get called back to a shutdown business you must go back.

$275 max per week plus $600.00.

That needs to be cut off when the call to come back to work has been extended.

This is not the free for all many may think it is. It has a start and and end point.

1 Like

It’s pretty amazing that the people voting on these bills don’t even know how unemployment works. I have no choice but to return to work or I lose it.

1 Like

That depends.
When your employer calls you back to work and you refuse. As an employer you have call the unemployment office and tell that office that you offered work to this employee and he refused to come back to work.
The unemployment office is not going to know about all the people who refused to come back to work if the employer does not call.
The unemployment office does not send a letter to the employer asking if they have called this employee back to work. They only send out one letter when the employee first applies for unemployment insurance asking why he is no longer working.
There was already a person on here calling me a horrible evil person for saying that if I had an employee who I called back to work refuse to come back that I would consider he quilt and I would call the unemployment office and let them know that his status needed changed for lack of work to quit.
In doing so I would get him kicked off unemployment for at least eight weeks and any unemployment he had received after he was called back would need to be repaid by him as well as a fine.
The governor is right there will be people who try to cheat the system. And there will be companies who don’t report the status change of employees.

It is cut off…the op even shows how. Basically how it works in all states

Yes that is what Human Resources exists for. What even mildly competent business would continue to pay more for unemployment when they could pay less so easily.

Your scenario relies on the business owner making an incredibly stupid decision.

4 Likes

Is it?

Then those companies are idiots because they don’t benefit keeping employees on unemployment in the long run

Beat me to it.

1 Like

I can’t believe this is complicated for some people.

3 Likes

O&T,

Again I can’t speak for FL as I don’t live in FL, I live in VA and work in Human Resources and I’ll tell you why we did notify the VA Employment Commission (VEC) during the last recession when work was offered to an employee that was laid off.

The rate of our Unemployment Insurance consists of (A) Base Rate, (B) Pool Charge, and (C ) Funding Charge. The largest portion of the employer paid Unemployment Insurance (UI) cost to us is the Base Rate. The Base Rate is determined by a “look back” calculation on the amount of claims that were attributed to us during the preceding year. The Base Rate is a percentage of current payroll, the higher the Base Rate, the more we pay (as a percentage). We have more claims, more UI is paid out, our rate goes up.

During the Great Recession of 2007-2009 we had the layoff a number of staff, meaning they were eligible for UI. So there are two factors, first I submit reports twice a month to the VEC consisting of new hires and rehires with SSNs. If someone pops on my report to the VEC, the VEC automatically ends UI. This report is required by all VA businesses. Secondly we will, and did, notify the VEC when we recalled employees and they refused to work. Why the second? It kept our long term rates lower.
.WW, PHS

1 Like

What a great post.

Businesses dont pay directly for their employees unemployment claims. They pay x% for the first X $ every employee earns every year. the feds collect a small portion and the states collect the rest. It goes into a big fund that the benefits are paid from. Then, at least in new york state, depending on the company’s historical claims , they can pay up to 10% of the first $9,000 of annual earnings, or $900 max per employee ( or less). No company is paying more than $900 per employee per year for UI.

1 Like

Yeah that wasn’t why. Thanks for playing.

Maybe things have changed. But when I first got my job I was part time working weekends only. I was asked to cover someone during the week instead so I agreed. I did that for 4-5 years and then finally got sent back to weekends. I was able to claim unemployment for those 3 days. All I had to do was answer a few questions online every week to collect. Since I was already employed I was not expected to be looking for work. So the only questions asked was if I was offered overtime, and did I refuse. Or if I had been offered more hours, and did I refuse?

My immediate supervisor wouldn’t even know I was on unemployment. Anyone in HR that did would have no idea if and when my supervisor asked me anything in regards to working more hours.

Of course I said no to overtime. I’m getting paid either way. But when I was asked for another long term 5 day a week gig of course I said yes. You never know when you’ll be asked again. But I know people that refused that too.

Hate to tell you but a lot of states are not that way. In my state and I know how it works because I lay people off every year for a couple of month due to winter weather.
In my state the only way they know who is working for me is when I file and pay my unemployment tax’s at the end of each quarter.

Look another post about nothing.

Every person who works for me or has worked for me when they file for unemployment and it’s my company that is going to be charged I am sent a letter and asked why this person is no longer working for me.
If you work over 10 hours a week in my state no unemployment for you. You can work 10 hours and still get unemployment but go over 10 hours and no unemployment for you. I know this because once in a while I have an employee come and help get equipment ready if they live close enough to drive to my shop so they has a little more money for the week.
So yes I know when ever someone files for unemployment and the state knows from me why they are unemployed. As long as I give a date for calling them back they do not have to look for work as they have a job they are just waiting for the job to start.