Your State and Unemployment Insurance

All I did was claim a loss of hours. I went from 40 to 16. I wasn’t even aware I was able to do this until someone told me. I just thought, ok, now I’ll be working for what I signed up for. And like I said, I am sure someone at HR knew I was on unemployment, but they are far removed from my direct supervisors, which could be any of over 100 over the length of the roadway. To further complicate things, at my current job they don’t keep track of part time employees that refuse overtime, just those that work overtime. Same with being asked to cover a 40 hour shift. They only keep track of that stuff for full time employees for seniority reasons.

It’s my understanding that separate bills went through, each providing an unemployment income and that they are now stacking these incomes on top of each other and that an unemployed person now has the potential to earn $900.00/week.

They’ve also approved an SBA loan to help compensate your employees during this next 2 months. It’s a generous offer that says if this loan is used to take care of your employees and keep them off of unemployment, it will be forgiven and does not have to be paid back. If…any of my employees choose to go on unemployment, I’ll terminate them. Some…could earn a larger amount but for a shorter period of time. It’s their choice?

Holy mackerel, you employ people and don’t even understand what passed re: UI? And you’re gonna fire people over it? Weird flex but okay.

1 Like

I am in the process of understanding what is applicable to my business circumstances and will apply for this loan tomorrow. These are very strange times my friend and up until this point, I run a very tight ship. If anyone chooses to jump from that ship, that’s on them but at that point, we…are done.

Yeah why would you want to cut payroll as a business owner during a huge economic downturn, that’s just crazy.

Are you bragging about having made up your mind before you even know what’s what?

How can someone choose to go on unemployment?

I’m going to also guess that threatening an employee for going on unemployment is illegal

#1 If you have employees that are actively working for you and apply for unemployment, they will not qualify for unemployment.

#2 If you have employees that work for you and they voluntary quit, they are not (in most states) eligible for unemployment.

#3 If you have employees that work for you and they fail to show for work and you terminate them, termination for job abandonment is considered “for cause” (in most states). Termination for cause means they are not eligible for unemployment.

In the states I’m aware of, check you state for specifics. Quiting a job (with certain hostile work environment exclusions - sexual harassment, race discrimination, etc.) disqualifies you. As part of an unemployment application the Employment Commission gets information from the employer. You provide information to them as to the circumstances of termination (quit, termination for cause, layoff, or job elimination for example).

Your employees don’t get to quit and go on unemployment.
.WW, PHS

As someone who survived the economic crash in 2008/9 and the following years…I’ve purposefully kept much more operating cash than what is required. I can last much longer than this stimulus provides for because I never, ever want to go through this again. What the government is providing for is to compensate for my losses during the next two months, so that I’m still afloat when this pandemic hopefully begins to reside? As far as understanding all the details, I admit, I’m in the learning stage but it’s my decades of experience that already has me prepared. Now…listen up…jump ship and we are done.

What threat?

Abandoning a job isn’t a threat, its a normal course for business. Job Abandonment is cause.
.WW, PHS

You can’t choose to abandon your job for unemployment benefits. Your employer also cannot threaten you to not apply for it if you are laid off.

Ex: if you apply for unemployment after I lay you off, I won’t rehire you. But if you don’t I will. That I’m guessing is illegal. You also can’t “fire” someone just so you as a business don’t get dinged on UI

It may not be legal, but some companies do that anyway. Of course, if you file and are eligible, they don’t really have a choice. I’m not sure why it matters since the employer doesn’t really pay anything out while they’re on unemployment. They’re still paying based on what their employees are currently earning. Sure the rate they’re paying might change, but it’s not like they’re actually paying out what someone is collecting while on unemployment. That’s not how it works.

Yes that’s why we’re baffled by the poster saying that.

Me too. But then it seems there are a few people on here claiming to be employers who don’t understand how the taxes for employers work. Odd.

Tbh on some of the most naive, dumb and shady people I’ve met have owned companies

That’s a fair point I guess.

My previous employer laid me off back in April of last year. They couldn’t threaten my unemployment because I was eligible, so they threatened to not rehire me if I took a job somewhere else instead before they had a chance to call me back. They tried to call me back to work for them a couple of months ago, after I had already started working for someone else. Needless to say, I told them to pound sand. Been working for a better employer since July of last year and couldn’t be happier. There was absolutely nothing they could really do about it. Funny how that works.

1 Like

Companies demand your loyalty but will drop you like a hat if it benefits them

Of course. They’re not in business to hire people. They’re in business to make money. Employing people is expensive. Welcome to Capitalism.