Word play and lies by the media

But the OP and several other posters did claim they were trespassing when they were not. That is what the post you responded to was addressing

They could have been. The gate may not be the line.

Several posters said they should of been arrested. Should we arrest people for potential crimes?

No. What I mean is it depends on where they were in relation to the property line. The gate may not have been the actual property line.

Unless there was a ‘No Trespassing’ or ‘Private Property’ sign posted, they’d have a hard time convicting them on what could be assumed to be public property. I don’t get to call the sidewalk in front of my house my property either, even though it’s behind my property line. Which is weird because the city still makes me pay to maintain it.

That would depend on the state. Sidewalks are typically public property as part of the roadway easement.

Pay to maintain it?

Yes. If a tree the city ordinance requires ends up damaging the sidewalk, the city doesn’t pay to fix the sidewalk. They send me a bill.

A tree on your property? That’s damage, not maintenance.

It’s not on my property. It’s on public property. I don’t own the curb in front of my house.

The tree?

The tree is sitting on the curb. What part are you having trouble with? That’s it on public property or it’s there because it was required by a city ordinance? I didn’t put it there. The builders did when they built the house.

I’ve never seen a tree sit on a curb. The trees around here are in dirt. I’m having trouble with the whole thing.

Sounds like your city is playing you.

Nah, you do like to play semantics though.

I’m not playing semantics. If the tree is between the curb and the sidewalk it is on public property and they cannot make you pay anything.

Sure. Tell the city that.

You tell them, it’s your city.

Why? You seem to think you know more about it than I do. I just live here.

I know law.

So you say.

Indeed. You need a lawyer.