With the new Juneteenth federal holiday I have seen the light

So let me get this straight. A holiday commemorating the end of slavery is dredging “up the sins of the past,” but Confederate statues are fine because they’ve been around a long time. Weird logic.

This argument is patently absurd and I’m sure you know that. Taking down statues that honor the Confederacy does not erase history in any way. Put them in museums where they belong, not in places of public honor.

3 Likes

Cornyn is right. This is the second race based black holiday. Why? Possible reason to have Dems lead the charge and single out Republicans who see this as pushing the envelope. If so, let’s wait for them to come up with yet another such holiday.

1 Like

Pushing the envelope?

What does that mean?

Is there a quota for the number of federal holidays a group of people are allowed to have?

Are you hourly?

1 Like

I argue that placing former Confederates in places of honor is the true rewriting of history .

2 Likes

We are in hypersensitive territory when conservatives are against holidays to celebrate freedom.

1 Like

Nope.

Ok. End it.

1 Like

Just think, at next years Juneteenth in Texas we can celebrate by giving everyone 21 and up a gun. Just chuck’em from the parade floats. Super freedom.

3 Likes

And there we have it.

1 Like

The holiday isn’t race-based, it commemorates the end of slavery, which was race-based.

3 Likes

Well from one poster it looks like different groups in this country are allowed only a certain quota of federal holidays.

Then it becomes “pushing the envelope”.

1 Like

Yep. Or you can move to LA.

You realize this objection is silly because of the hidden assumption behind it?

Of course it’s race-based. Not the whole race.

1 Like

Ergo…race based.

No it isn’t.

I would say it is a holiday that is honoring the Nation becoming a more perfect Union.

4 Likes

Holidays cost a lot of hourly people money.

Any race can (and should) celebrate the end of slavery in this country.

3 Likes