With everything happening, it's time to recognize Juneteenth as a National Holiday

On foot? And just where were poor men treated better back then? Do tell.

That seems to be the stock answer for those stuck in inner city hell holes, why should this be any different?

Because there are better places than that and we have modern transportation. There was no place in the US at that time that were fair and equitable to the poor.

They could have done it. They were tough people clearly.

Done what? Gone where? Where was it better?

Sure. There’s no such thing as a “holiday” for congress. It’s always a holi-week for them. They could use a pre-summer vacation before they get their six weeks off or whatever greedy plan they gave themselves.

1 Like

I dunno, my ancestors were doing alright on farms in upstate NY. It’s a bit country, to say there w was aa nowhere rings hollow. Some people feel a connection to wherever they grew up, roots and all that. And miners are a particularly stubborn and proud breed. I’m betting they chose to stay. Nothing wrong with that.

No they didn’t choose to stay, with 11 children and what miners made at the time, they had zero capability to finance a move, their children would have starved. And none of the children stayed and became miners, all the boys joined the armed services to get out, because that was obtainable and a better place.

Welcome back and good post.

Sort of off topic, but have you ever read, “What to the Slave is the fourth of July”? I read it every year on the 4th. Unfortunately, you’re right Independence day never had us in mind because black folks were nothing more than property.

3 Likes

just rename columbus day american injustice and genocide day

Can’t wait for the injustice and genocide sales events.

[quote=“NativeSun, post:13, topic:232025, full:true”]Shoutouts to Twitter, they get it

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1270561336225914881?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1270561336225914881&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231270561336225914881
[/quote]
Nike has entered the chat
https://mobile.twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1271142850877706241

Actually not.

Had the colonies remained a part of Britain the slaves would have been freed 32 years earlier than they were…without a massive war.

1 Like

Some states and territories never allowed slavery and abolition began well before the civil war.

British subjects in the Colonial Era were little better off than slaves even if technically “free men”.

1 Like

IDK what the map is about, but once again:

• We built the country

• We fought in all it’s wars

• We held the country accountable on it’s claims when no one else would

• We made it possible for the founders of some of the most successful corporations in the world to even be here.

You deserve a national holiday in recognition of our liberation. Your life would be completely different without it.

1 Like

Dude…seriously?

British subjects were no better off than slaves?

That’s ridiculous even by some of this board’s standards.

4 Likes

You haven’t done squat.

1 Like

It would be ever so helpful if you learned to reply to what I actually wrote instead of what you made up.

were little better off than

Apparently you don’t understand what it was to be a Colonial British Subject.

You had no real rights and could lose everything including your life for any offense or none at all if you go on the wrong side of the appointed governors and British Officers.

Colonists were not afforded the same rights as Those Living in England and they had very few true rights.

1 Like

So other people have no idea what it was like to live under colonial rule yet you do?

Can I ask what makes your opinion on this topic more accurate than other posters?

2 Likes