Will there be a spring break Covid surge? Should we care?

I thought I heard/read that about 80 million had contracted the virus (and hence would have immunity) and there have been about 100 million vaccinated? That’s how I figured about 1/2. Nonetheless, with more and more people being vaccinated and still people getting the virus along with the approaching spring weather, things will be getting better.

Which “The data” is this…the data where Cuomo hid the actual death count? You can attempt to spin this any way you choose but Samaritan’s Purse was treated like ■■■■ and innocent lives were lost as a direct result of that hate.

2 Likes

You claimed SP left Central Park because they were treated poorly.

The leader of SP says they left because they were no longer needed due to Covid cases dropping.

You claimed that wasn’t true and the that they just weren’t sending cases to SP, especially nursing home cases.

I provided the quote from Graham. I provided the data showing nursing home deaths had dropped down to 2019 levels by the time Graham announced they were leaving to provide help in other world areas that needed it.

Just accept you were wrong about this and move on.

What does that leader do as his calling? Answer that and it’s easy to understand his response. Now we were here observing all of this when it went down…remember? All that Samaritan’s Purse received from NYC was hate. Remember? They were asked to leave by those that accused them of being homophobic…remember? As this was going on, elderly people were DYING because instead of using them, Cuomo stuck infected patients into uninfected nursing homes…period.

3 Likes

SP left when Covid cases had dropped enough that they were no longer needed. No amount of your data-less “explaining” will change that fact. By May, they had handled the surge and the case count was way down.

The surge in people in nursing homes dying had passed by May and death rates were similar to pre-Covid rates. SP had done their job in helping the hospitals handle the surge but by May, when they left, they were no longer needed. Franklin Graham said this and also said they were locating the resources to other world areas that needed them. A job well done. Pat on the back.

Only YOU are claiming they were kicked out. That they were still needed in May.

Just stop with the bull feces. By the end of April, 20% of NYC residents tested positive for antibodies. That’s millions of people. The hospital can only treat hundreds. They were DEFINITELY needed and to conclude otherwise is just plain ridiculous.

68% of a New York clinic’s patients test positive for coronavirus antibodies

Hmmmm, the question at hand is whether SP was needed to assist hospitals in treating Covid patients. It is intriguing why you chose a secondary set of data instead or primary. The primary data would be hospitalizations. Oh, here we go. By April we see significant drop off of hospitalizations which continued into May. This directly contradicts your claim that Samiritan’s Purse, Central Park location, was still needed.

https://images.app.goo.gl/SxZBihMwzMsXiY1p8

The subject being discussed was NOT using the Samaritan’s Purse hospital to treat elderly infected patients, instead of sending them into uninfected nursing homes.

Ok. You brought up nursing homes and the elderly.

But fine, let’s agree the nursing home deaths had passed by the time SP left Central Park.

The hospitalization rate for NYC had dropped considerably by May and SP was no longer needed to supplement hospital capacity. The data shows this and Samaritan’s Purse says this. Only you are claiming otherwise.

WRONG!!! Cuomo’s initiative began at the end of March. The deaths were so bad that Cuomo has LIED about the numbers. You’re wrong my friend.

Can you source this 20% as I think you are misunderstanding something. I highly doubt 20% of New Yorkers tested positive for Covid because not all New Yorkers were tested. More likely, it meant 20% of those tested came up positive. You can’t extrapolate that into the NYC population since those choosing to get tested do not represent a random sample of the NYC population. They are people who have symptoms or came in contact with Covid.

1 Like

Focus. We are debating the reason Samiritan’s Purse left Central Park. When did SP leave? May. Not March. Not April. They left in May.

Instead of talking about events in March, wouldn’t it make more sense to talk about the state of Covid in NYC during May, when the decision to leave was made?

Just query it. Many sources are reporting this.

SP left in May. Here is the graph of nursing home deaths in NYC area. The orange line is 2020. The other line is 2019. Note that by May, the 2020 line was back to the 2019 level.

Inside dining at restaurants is one of those things that every knows can’t be done safely around here, and if there is a surge, the re-opening of the dining rooms will be delayed until the metrics from that surge are down.

Ok, thanks. It does not change that Covid antibody rates is secondary data. It includes people who have recovered, who never had symptoms, who had mild symptoms and never were hospitalized.

Your claim is SP was still needed in May. Why not just show us via hospitalization rates? SP is not needed for those with no symptoms. They aren’t needed for those with mild symptoms. It seems they were needed for those needing hospital services. So why not use that readily available data?

Yes, you should care if there is another COVID surge, because mutations occur as the virus spreads from person to person. That’s why it is urgent to vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

1 Like

That’s not what the data says.

2 Likes

I don’t care what the data says, I care what the maitre’d says. And if there’s a surge, the governor isn’t going to say “open” any time soon and the maitre’d won’t say “how many in your party” until the governor says its OK.

A surge will effect everyone.

I heard from one of the local health experts that 40% of the infected were asymptomatic.