Why would you want to hunt a wolf? Whats the point

Exactly…nature works. Everything balances, get rid of one species for convenience and you create other problems.

Why is that?

Totally agree with you on this one. Trophy hunting is a cruel “sport” with benefits only to those with sick ways of getting a thrill.

1 Like

Take New York for example…Moose are making a huge comeback, hopefully wolves will follow to help keep them in check and keep the population healthy by taking the sick/ weak. Thats natures game management…

1 Like

How is that?

Some of the hunted prey both on sick meat animals like elk & disease causing vermin like rats.

Bubonic plague, anyone?

Humans are their only check in the balance of nature.

Coyotes are doing this in a lot of urban locations including Chicago.

Looks like two people got bitten in Chicago—not something to be dismissed, but not a large number.

I’m not seeing hunting as the solution, but not leaving food out for them, as indicated in the interview, & sealing trash—taking it out only on pickup day(s) if possible.

I work in a rural part of the Commonwealth. It’s a sad state of affairs when the building manager has to instruct grown men & women not to dispose of food they don’t want out in the open as it was attracting coyotes to the premises, but that’s exactly what he had to do.

But people do have a God given right to gather food. Right? If deer are not harvested, they will either die by being hit by a car or will slowly starve when they are too old or injured to fend for themselves. A bullet is the easy way out for a deer.

This from a non hunter.

Funny…balanced worked for 100’s of thousands of years without our help.

They are an invasive species. Prior to the 1980’s, Coyotes were seldom seen east of the Mississippi. This is not their natural range.

I suppose we could mend the balance with our vehicles too.

I prefer a humane hunt.

WITH human participation all through history.

2 Likes

They are a different strain of coyote.

Bigger more canine…Coydogs some call them.

My point was simply that Coyote are better rat hunters than wolves.

There is no traditional habitat east of the Mississippi for any strain of Coyote. They are invasive.

No it was an awesome thing…but that just means that they are more densely populated than ever and encroaching on places where human’s live. Don’t get me wrong. Our summer home is on a lake in the national forest that has no houses on it other than 8 cabins from a resort that are barely occupied. But the Wolves getting closer to civilization because of crowding of territories is a dangerous thing as well.

OK.

They are here now.

A lot of PA hunters think the game commission imported them to control the deer herd for the insurance industry.

:man_shrugging:t3:

I remember a rolling stone article back in 14 or 15 about legal elephant hunting in Kenya possibly, cant remember the nation exactly.

The takeaway of it the author went on a hunt, was saddened to see an elephant killed, but did his research and found out that the hunters were helping pay for conservation efforts. Because of this the elephant population was actually increasing due to increased funding to fight poaching.

Real hunters respect and appreciate the outdoors, they aren’t going out trying to kill every animal they see. Here in wisconsin the wolf population has increased to the point where it needs to be managed. Its like weeding a garden. It serves a purpose to manage the habitat.

Hunters are instrumental in conserving the outdoors in my opinion.

This is coming from someone who grew up hunting a little, but i don’t anymore.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Maybe. I’m not big on conspiracies. Most people believe they are part of this areas ecosystem. Most people are wrong.

So what…Oh I get it. You want to tell other people what they can or cannot do.

Got it.

2 Likes