Why would you want to hunt a wolf? Whats the point

We are literally nature personified. :wink:

It isn’t about shooting a wolf for sport. Most were trappers and they use the fur.

Over the past decade the Gray Wolf population has gotten out of control. I have been told by Northern Wisconsinites that these wolf packs are moving into populated areas taking down dogs and cats. They were reintroduced largely to repopulate and control the out of control deer population in the wild.

Back in the 50s and 60s the northern part of the state was still largely wild. Now as people look to find a slice of wilderness we encroach on their space. And thus they become a threat to us when we are actually a threat to them as well.

So they get population numbers and decide how many they need to cull, and let hunters and trappers cull the pack. They do it with deer and bear too. It’s part of wildlife management in the forest.

1 Like

At our place in far Northern WI. The last two summers there have been fewer and fewer deer around the lake. That’s because the wolf population is out of control. Hell last summer I actually heard wolves howling in the woods. Something I haven’t heard in 40 years or more.

1 Like

Never saw dances with wolves. WOLVES all over the place.

Exactly.

It’s not like a pack just goes “well. Prey is scarce, Scratch, Fang, and Scar…pack up your desk.”

3 Likes

Are humans supernatural or unnatural?

You say that like its a bad thing…

In this scenario, unnatural.

Except thats not why these people are shooting them.

I find wolves both fascinating and terrifying. I have watched a lot of the Joe Rogan videos he did with hunters and some of the stories of their encounters with wolves are creepy they are very smart animals when it comes to hunting.

You are absolutely wrong. Game management is one of the most obvious cases of where interfering with nature improves it. When properly managed, you end up with much more even populations with more predators and prey animals.

So why are they shooting them?

Yeah I know but where I live the county park is chuck full of nice jersey black bears. Population is exploding. So therefore population controls need to be applied.

Hunting is by far the best way.

A nice 6 days season where plenty of bears are taken.

You might not think of jersey as a hunting state but it most assuredly is.

Allan

1 Like

Just wondering how natural your home is, your transportation, the computer/cell phone you made this post with . . . …

Why did the state have a season? If there’s an over population and it’s endangering people and livestock, I can understand thinning the population but I’m with you…just pulling the trigger because you can is SICK.

No, I don’t, and the answer isn’t in the O P link.

I don’t hunt anything. I am glad there are deer hunters out there and I will eat venison. But I get no enjoyment out of watching something die. I’m a wuss.

Hunting is fine, if you’re going to eat your kill…But hunting just to get pelts or trophies for your wall is a waste of a living creature…

1 Like

https://www.littlebluesociety.org/2017/02/08/co-existing-with-coyotes-is-a-good-method-of-rodent-control/

Am not a fan at all of hunting, & never before this thread heard of wolf hunts. But, IIRC, hantavirus in Navajo country in the southwestern U S was caused—the excess rodent population aspect of it—in part by white ranchers killing excess numbers of coyotes who help reduce the populations of mice and rats.

Might excess wolf kills lead to increase of illness in meat animals?

Hunting is a valuable public service.

Predator hunting is especially valuable.