Why today's music sucks

Exactly. The so-called Classic rock is the best of the music from that time. There was an awful lot of crap out then, just like there is crap out now. The best we will remember and listen to for a long time, the worst and mediocre we mostly forget.

In the 1980s, I wouldn’t have put Tom Petty in the same league with the older artists above. I still wouldn’t put Nirvana with them. We can’t say now what current artists will become classics. We will know it in 20 years.

NKOTB are classic.

1 Like

Here is something I am jamming to right now…

Todays music sucks because i am old…

1 Like

I suck because I’m old.

2 Likes

Great new song for me that I just heard last Friday on Passport Approved, a radio show that plays new music by up and coming alternative bands across the world. I’d never heard of this group before but within a minute of listening to this song I knew I wanted it. I’ve listened to some other stuff by them and its forgettable but this song sticks with me, especially once it gets to the chorus.

A classic from this decade.

Damn this is good.

1 Like

Yeah not too shabby.

Some more sucky tunage for your headphones.

Good choices.

I like Justin Bieber music. Maybe I’ll try more than two of his songs, the ones I mentioned earlier.

Years ago, when I was working for a theater in the Mountains of Virginia, I was the Lighting Designer on a show that Andrew Bird was the violinist.

When hanging out he told me that he had just cut an album with a band called The Squirrel Nut Zippers. He didn’t think it would go anywhere.

Nice guy.

Radiohead (a current group) doing a cover of an old Joy Division / New Order song. Vocally it starts a bit rough IMO as Thom Yorke is trying too hard to sound like Ian Curtis (the lead singer of Joy Division) but the instruments are flawless and after about a minute Yorke settles into just singing like himself. Also love that out of all the more well known New Order songs they could have covered they picked Ceremony with its great guitar hooks. If you don’t know but are curious as to why its labeled as both a Joy Division and New Order song its because its the last song Joy Division ever started to record before Ian Curtis’s suicide a few days later. It was never finished though so when the surviving members of Joy Division renamed themselves New Order and the Joy Division lead guitarist took over singing and finished the vocals it was released as a New Order song.

2 Likes

Don’t know why or really how… but I have been getting into African psychodelic/ soul music from the 70’s.

This is my summer jam.

That’s awesome. I was never a huge Radiohead fan, but I love joy division. My favorite cover is by Nine Inch Nails from The Crow soundtrack and I’m not even a huge NIN fan either.

I used to think that I am a bit under 40 and figured I was just out of touch of todays scene of course I think the music I grew up in the early 2000’s sucks as well with a few exceptions like The Muse. I am a sucker for reaction videos on youtube and was surprised that on most videos when they review one of the classic bands they cant get over the musicianship lack of auto-tune and above all they love guitar solo’s.

This is an example of lead guitar from 1967. It asks the question, “Why is pop music, so shallow and engineered by algorithms, designed for people with adhd”

It’s a Puzzle.