Why today's music sucks

Another good song, though a few years older, that is good mix of screamo and melodic. By Pierce the Veil but features Kellin Quinn who is the lead singer for Sleeping With Sirens. Amusingly the first time I heard this song I thought Kellin’s parts were a female singing but I’ve made that mistake many times when hearing a Sleeping With Sirens song as his voice is rather high.

And just to show that they can do beautifully melodic when they want here is Sleeping With Sirens (Kellin Quinn from the video in the last post is the lead singer) doing a hauntingly beautiful cover of the Goo Goo Dolls song Iris. He still sounds like he’s waiting for puberty to hit though.

So would you be comfortable mentioning this band as peers with Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Queen, The Beatles, The Who, Elton John, Pearl Jam, CCR, Van Halen, Nirvana, Tom Petty or any of the top acts of the past? Are these guys their equals?

Eh you wouldnt be the first to ask that about most new music in time :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no idea which post your replying to so I have no idea which band of the many I’ve brought up your bringing up.

Would I put some of the bands I’ve mentioned up there with the bands you mention: absolutely. Nightwish for instance is one of the most talented bands you’ll ever hear. They are basically the creation of their keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen who writes and composes all their music. They aren’t huge in the US but in Europe they play places like Wembley and headline festivals like Wacken Open Air (sort of the US version of Coachella or Lollapalooza).

And you never know what bands of today are going to be considered great in years to come. Some of the bands you mention weren’t nearly as loved critically in their prime as they are now. Led Zeppelin for instance.

For instance here is Nightwish live at Wembley doing one of their most impressive songs stylistically called Poet and the Pendulum. This song is 14 minutes long and changes tone and styles throughout but does so seamlessly. It will go from classical to opera to pop to metal to death metal back to pop to rock to classical over the course of its length. Can you imagine any band you mentioned except maybe Queen trying something like this? Yet this is what Nightwish does on many of their songs.

I love Nightwish, but Iron Maiden does thus as well. Listen to “Empire of the Clouds” off the Book of Souls album.

Some current groups putting out great guitar rock, since Altair is obsessed with lead guitars, to follow.

Muse - Knights of Cydonia. I could have picked from a lot of Muse songs but this one has a great riff.

Foo Fighters (future denziens of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when they become eligible in a year or two). So many guitar heavy songs I could pick from, they have four guitarists in the band if you don’t know.

My Chemical Romance. Yes this song is 12 years old and the band is “technically” broken up yet they are secretly still putting out music. Gerard Way, the lead singer, writes comics and one of his comics, The Umbrella Academy, recently debuted as a series on Netflix. Way provided much of the music for the show and was helped out by many of his MCR bandmates. Fantastic show by the way for anyone who loves superhero movies / shows.

Even 50 years later everyone knows the bands that I mentioned. Kids, teenagers Grandma everyone. Why is good music so much harder to find these days? Most people have no clue who these current bands are. And they are certainly not be remembered as the equal of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Sometimes I remove my earbuds at the gym. The piped in music sounded like it was being performed by a high school J.V. cheerleading squad using their little girl voices. Gawd it was awful.

1 Like

Its actually easier to find nowadays. Its called the internet. Go on to Pandora or Iheartradio or other similar app and enter a band you like and it will find similar music by other bands, many of them current. This is exactly how I found out about several of my favorite bands.

Case in point Within Temptation and Nightwish who are two of my favorite bands. Without the internet I’d never had heard of either. Back in 2004 or so I went to see the movie Daredevil where two Evanescence songs were prominently featured (Bring Me to Life and My Immortal). I was floored by Bring Me to Life and absolutely loved it. Immediately went out and bought the album and it became the soundtrack of my life for about a year especially since so many songs on it were about the end of relationships and I was going through a divorce at the time. Anyway, I got on to some music site back then which did recommendations based on music you said you liked. So I got Within Temptation from Evanescence and once I started loving Within Temptation it opened up a whole world of European female fronted metal to me that I’d never have heard here in the US: Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Delain, Epica, Amaranthe, Leaves Eyes, and many more.

Within Temptation actually predates Evanescence by about six years so if anyone was copying anyone’s sound it Evanescence copying WT but if you listen to this song you can hear the similarity. And the last minute outro of this song is one of the greatest things I’ve heard in music in a long while as Sharon Den Adel (the lead singer) kicks it up an octave or two.

I have their entire discography up to 2008’s “A Sense of Purpose” ripped to my iTunes library.

I was a huge fan back in the day. But after that time period I started migrating away most forms of Metal other than 80s style Thrash; I’m still a big Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament fan. I mostly listen to 60s and 70s rock, blues, and prog now, though.

I’ve gotten softer with age.

Oh man Within Temptation. That brings back some memories.

Out of those symphonic metal bands Nighwish was my favorite. The End of All Hope is still on my top 20 metal songs of all time list.

I saw Meatloaf way back when and I enjoyed the show. I don’t go out of my way to listen to him today, but having Phil Rizzuto in one of his songs is pretty cool.

1 Like

I just saw Within Temptation live about two weeks ago. They rarely tour the US and I missed them 5 or so years ago the last time so I made sure I’d see them this time. Absolutely amazing.

I’ve seen Nightwish in concert twice, both with Floor as the lead singer who is my overall favorite of the triad of Nightwish lead singers. Studio wise my two favorite songs (Song of Myself and Poet and Pendulum) are Anette songs but she couldn’t do live very well whereas Floor can do pretty much anything live. Overall I think Floor’s album Endless Forms Most Beautiful is the best overall but the two Anette songs off Imaginareum are my favs, the rest of the album for the most part though isn’t as good.

For anyone who might care here is the Anette version of Song of Myself by Nightwish. Its a great example of what symphonic metal is where it incorporates typical heavy metal elements with classical instruments and a chorus.

If you wonder why I and others when talking about Nightwish always have to classify each song by lead singer its because they’ve had three. First was Tarja (blech) who was an opera singer who can’t sing anything but operatic. Gets annoying fast. They fired her after ten years or so because she was so limiting and hired Anette. Anette is a pop singer who allowed them to branch out but she was unable to sing old Tarja Nightwish songs very well. They fired Anette mid tour (lots of drama) and hired Floor Jansen with only 48 hrs notice to finish the tour. They actually have a documentary called “You Have 48 hrs to learn the setlist” about this. Floor is amazing because she can literally sing anything from operatic to pop to death metal.

I enjoy some songs performed within the last five years. Olly Murs & One Direction are groups that readily come to mind.

The O P is pretty mild compared to some posts I see on classic rock pages on Facebook & YouTube.

“YEAH That was a great song (or group). Not like today’s stuff by people like Justin Bieber.”

Hey ■■■■ for Brains, if I have to see one more critique of Justin Bieber in a comment about a ‘60’s - ‘80’s song or group, I’ll download the entire ■■■■■■■ album by him. “Baby Baby” & “Despacito” are kind of fun!

If ACDC, the Beatles, or KISS are so great, why do you need to diss Justin Bieber, or ANYONE?!
If this artist, or that song, are so great, they should be able to stand on their own.

What I love about you tube comments on classic songs is that there are always comments by someone claiming to be about 15 and saying I wish I grew up in this age when music was great. I have no doubt that these so called 15 year olds are actually in the 40-60 yr old age range and are just fishing for comments.

2 Likes