Why noboby should trust government

Ok then. Next.

I understand that opinion. Unfortunately we are stuck with very few options. Mine is to vote for the people who I think will not work to increase their authority over me. Zero democrats fit that mode and very few republicans do. It’s a crappy choice.

I agree. Not everyone in government is a scoundrel. Most people in government or politics are no more corrupt than your average wall street investment banker. But I wouldn’t want them in charge of my life either. Government definitely has done little to convince me that they need more control.

I understand that opinion as well. But until we as a people stop condoning the actions we dislike, by continuing to reward and support the people engaged in behavior we dislike, then we have very little room to complain when they continue to act in the same fashion we decry.

Okay. So bottom line. Do you believe that government officials have proven themselves to be trustworthy enough to be granted more control over us?

It depends on what you define as “control” and what it means to have more? I do not personally feel as if the government has control over me and my life.

So you think insurance and pharmaceutical companies are “trustworthy”?

Full disclosure. I work for big pharma and we can’t take a dump without federal approval. But we are also self policing. We throw out millions dollars of product that we know for sure is good, out of an abundance of caution. And the FDA does not appear to mess with us without reason. Nobody can make any assessment of pharma without being on the inside to see how it actually is. Most people have no clue. It is nearly impossible to make a good batch of meds sometimes. Tough sledding. As for my company. There is no higher priority than the safety of our patients. It’s pounded into our heads. Three mistakes in a year, is pretty good for most people in manufacturing. Three mistakes a year in Pharma can get you fired. People should not judge until they know what goes on.

As to your question. Pharma, Insurance, Wall street, government or the guy across the street. We are all the same. We all have the same strengths and flaws. I would not trust any of them with unquestioned authority over my life. No man, or institution has proved they deserve that.

I would not trust any of them with unquestioned authority over my life.

Unless you are wealthy enough to not require insurance under even the worst case scenario, you are doing just that, no matter which way you slice it.

The only difference is you want to push the big bad government “death panel” narrative and ignore the profit motives of insurance companies.

They do. For example. Paul Ryan will be retiring at 48 years old. I believe he will be receiving full retirement benefits. At the same time, they keep bumping back the age when we can retire. Moving the goalposts. They love to increase our retirement age against our will but leave their own unchanged. So yes, if you must work until 70 in order to receive the full benefit from the money they took from you, then that is control. And if you die before you retire? They keep the money. Your money. The money you have earned over 50 years. Who gets the better healthcare plan? You or them? Again, they put their needs above yours. A “me first” attitude.

Insurance companies get screwed too. Why do hospitals get to bill them $800 dollars for an $8 dollar bag of saline? Why do hospitals order $4000 procedures that are totally unnecessary? Insurance companies are no better or worse than anybody else. Government included.

I have the ability to retire at any age I desire. The government does not control this decision for me.

I am not reliant on the government to finance my retirement. That again is my decision and they do not control this for me. Sure, I pay in to SS, but I do not mind adhering to the social contract established. It is not a lack of control, any more than paying taxes, in my opinion. Also, you can collect SS benefits beginning at age 62.

That is not true. The money is paid to your beneficiaries. They do not just “keep the money.”

https://us.axa.com/axa-products/retirement-planning/questions/will-children-receive-money-when-I-die.html

Most people employed get healthcare coverage subsidized by their employer. Congress is no different. I am perfectly content with my healthcare coverage and payment amount for my family. The government does not control me when it comes to healthcare either.

I disagree with what you view to be “control” as it relates to the government. These honestly just sound like grievances over government not doing enough for you. I personally want government to do less, and am not reliant upon government for my needs or the needs of my family.

Why franken? A GOP controlled Congress started the Mueller probe.

I’m saying Franken took responsibility for his actions and resigned.

Sure. Keep believing that.

Oh yeah of course. With Mueller I just thought a party investigating its own is a perfect example. Sorry it came off a little snarky

Ok. I will. I like facts. Lol

He did. With much pressure form his party. The pictures came out right at the climax of the me too movement. The timing could not have been worse for Him. But he should have made a deal. He should have said that he will resign after every single congressman who has used the congressional sexual harassment slush fund is revealed. That would have been the most patriotic move he could have done.

Yep…

1 Like

Blind trust of the government gets you in prison or dead.