Why don’t states implement their own individual mandate

Certainly to punish them if they don’t.

It’s a crazy question, like asking why conservatives oppose the individual mandate but not the employer mandate that’s existed for seventy plus years.

It’s difficult for the GOP to advocate for states rights because the biggest part of their plan to reduce premiums is to allow insurance to be sold across state lines.
They could admit that their plan wouldn’t reduce premiums but I don’t see that happening.

Allowing it wouldn’t do jack ■■■■■ the insurance companies don’t want to operate across state lines.

You’d have to force them.

It’s dumb for two major reasons, one, insurance one of the most heavily regulated industries in the country for a reason-the mortgage securities are an example of an unregulated insurance system-and two, they’ll all move to one state with the loosest laws like credit card companies did after deregulation.

It’s still a major part of their platform. I disagree with it as well, but I would hardly expect them to admit that it won’t work, and advocated for states right would directly conflict with this part of their solution.

This is correct. People seem to think that all you have to do is find an cheaper insurance policy in another state. That insurance policy would be useless unless the doctors/hospitals/etc are willing to accept it in your state. Setting up that network in 50 states would be cost-prohibitive.

Those that are inclined to do so did some time back.