Why does Trump refuse to release his tax returns? House Dems want to know

I wish one of the Reps had asked Michael Cohen if there is any truth to the audit nonsense.

Itā€™s not secret. Do you actually think that Mueller has ignored the tax returns? If the Mueller show ever ends, maybe we will find out?

Congress will get them pretty soon.

If the President lets them. Congress has no right to them. And to subpoena them they must present evidence of a crime. So thereā€™s that.

Again- we have no idea what they have. If they have evidence pointing to tax fraud or money launderingā€¦ they will get the returns.

Why is he hiding them again? Same reason he sealed his high school and college transcripts- they donā€™t make him look good.

I donā€™t remember who asked but the topic came up. I think Cohen said he didnā€™t have much to do with tax returns and couldnā€™t say whether or not the returns were under audit. There was more but thatā€™s the impression I took from that exchange.

This. ^

For all the arm waving I canā€™t think of anything - fake news or otherwise - Mueller has exposed where Trumpā€™s tax returns might be evidence.

Unless there was some accusation that Trump had paid money (or something reportable on taxes) why would Mueller need them?

Heā€™s not there hunting Trump despite arm waving to the contrary.

Well, he did promise but then we know how his promises are received. Selectively.

I have. They treat you respectfully and hear your grievances. They make it as complicated as possible but ultimately, if you work within the system, they try to be reasonable. With solid documentation, I got some relief.

Trump devalued one of his properties tenfold from fifty million to five million to save on property taxes according to the Washington Post and more or less confirmed by Cohen. That is a crime in any book.

So itā€™s not you that make the final determination on value when it comes to taxes ā€“ so neither does Trump in that regard.

Value for taxes and value for purchase are two different animals. Now if he put down on an application that he had an apartment/home/property whatever it was, if the bank didnā€™t do a verification appraisal at the time ā€“ then they get what they deserve for stupitity. Now loosing value from over 6 years (from 2012 to 2017) . . . always a possability.

Congress (specifically the House Ways and Means) does have a right to them. Itā€™s the law.

Isnā€™t falsifying loan documents illegal?

Not if youā€™re a Trumpist, in which case youā€™re heroic.

Have you seen the entire document to know if the value was a single property . . . or if it was more than one property? I havnā€™t. I know from our local city countil meetings if a warrant is paying multiple things, only the first item shows up (a council member was questiongin a warrant for a sprinkler head that cost 5 grand. but it was the sprinkler head, yearly maintenance, and a few other things.

So without knowing for sure, it is possible that the value of whatever he was putting up was that much. If not, the bank should have filed charges of fraud back then donā€™t cha thunk?

Maybe the bank didnā€™t figure it out.

That doesnā€™t make it less illegal, does it?

They donā€™t deserve to be a bank if they donā€™t do something as simple as verifying an assets value that is being put up as colatoral (thatā€™s about the only reason I can think of that it would be put on papers for the bank).

If they really did just take it at value, then thatā€™s on them in my opinion.

Seems like thatā€™s an irrelevant opinion to the matter at hand.

Does the bank acting in a way you consider dumb make it any less illegal?

I would actually have to see several things:

1. The actual complete document to see if he was claiming a single property was that value
  2. See the law on the books at the time it was given to the bank.

Too many variables to say if what he did was less legal or more legal.

You know who has seen the documents?

Michael Cohen. Maybe some others too by now.