Why does Trump keep saying that China is paying for the tarrifs?

Ha. Except I truly mean it. Trying to learn about some of the lesser known candidates.

A) that story has not been proven to be correct
B) the simple fact is, you can’t build advanced semiconductors in China. The most advanced process node for logic chips in Chinese fabs is (IIRC) 28nm. The latest Intel CPUs, nVidia GPUs, Qualcomm cellular processors, Apple A12x, etc. are built from silicon at least 3 generations more advanced.

Better choice for whom? You? How about you tell us which democrat you’d vote for.

No, but the Chinese are buying our chips. Or were until Trump started his tariffs.

https://www.industryweek.com/economy/us-chipmakers-feel-pain-when-wish-granted-scrutinize-china

I know because I was laid off a few months ago as a result of our orders slowing due to the tariffs.

Flyover Country thanks you for your sacrifice.

It’s all good. I’m taking advantage of a Federal worker retraining program to go back to school.

2 Likes

The liar in Chief left a couple years back. :+1:

Meanwhile record low unemployment. You’re welcome.

Record low unemployment was a bad thing under Obama and the numbers were clearly phony baloney. Now it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Funny how that works, isn’t it?

There was no record low unemployment under Obama.

Obama didn’t create record number of jobs, it just taken almost 7 years just to recoup the lost jobs after the great recession.

Obama had 8.9 jobs…but the recession lost 8.5 million jobs.

There are still 95 million people not in the labor force. That number hasn’t moved. If you include that, unemployment would be at 42%.

Sure there was.

Unemployment was 8.3% when Bush left office. What was it when Obama left office?

Now now we only count U6 when a Democrat is in office.

2 Likes

I’m glad tax dollars can help retrain you even though most of us never owned a company or laid anybody off.

1 Like

Hey so am I. I only found out about the program because I was seeing if I was eligible under the Trade Act. It’s not like the government is actively advertising these programs are available. Why would they? The economy is booming, don’t you know?

Nothing says booming economy like getting laid off. Especially if you’re the one getting laid off.

1 Like

I’m really hoping this is a silver lining for you and that your future is rosy. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks. Me too.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear this. In general, though, outside of memories (which are cyclic, and 2019 will be a very down year after a couple of massive increases), the semiconductor industry is doing pretty well.

Good luck with your classes!