Why didn't we expect a nationalist movement after the 1st minority president?

“Putting your country first” doesn’t actually mean anything.

A nationalist movement is a political movement that advocates nationalism.

Basically.

It is a form of nationalism.

There’s a scale. At lower end you have patriotism. At the high end you have France and Germany in 1914.

Ummm… it was less than 10 years ago that he died… still a Democrat. So you are mistaken.

More so than France?

I don’t know if I agree with that.

Perhaps it is necessary for a nation to gain a state.

how well did that work out for the Scottish and Irish?

Of course it does, especially in a position of leadership.

Is “Buy American” nationalist?

Backlash to Abolishment of slavery was Jim Crow… backlash to Civil Rights Act was mass incarceration… backlash to a black president is a white nationalist

No.

10 chars.

I think so, although you raise a good choice. I worked with Brits, never the frogs.

If you ask any 2 people what “putting one’s country first” means, you’ll get 10 different answers.

And no, I wouldn’t characterize “buy American” as nationalist.

You might want to ponder before posting.

How is it not?

Nationalism is saying immigrate fleeing a country full of political violence are criminals, drug smugglers and terrorists.

It was a significant number 1/3rd of 650 counties which included Wisconson, Michigan, Iowa, and Ohio that voted for Obama twice voted for Trump. To put in perspective if the reverse happened Hillary would have won North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona and Florida.

Your posts are getting worse.

Before the nation state really developed the loyalty of the populations of the western world was to individual men or the church. The king or the pope. Or in a more local sense the cardinal or the baron.

Once the nation state was born the loyalty changed. The people’s loyalty was to the idea that they were a nation. While this was a societal improvement it came with some dark consequences. People are willing to fight harder and sacrifice more if they feel like they are the ones who are personally being targeted.

Levee en masse changed everything yet again. The concept of an entire nation under arms and at war was born with modern mass conscription. And the world got to see just how much nation-states could endure before they cracked.

Hyperbole prize :metal: :medal_sports:

Nationalist view immigrate as second tier in society they are not as good as “Americans”

The Japanese are very nationalistic, although not in a military related sense. It’s more of an ethno-nationalism.