Why didn't we expect a nationalist movement after the 1st minority president?

Your seeing it more and more with that woman demanding to see passport of a family speaking Spanish at a restaurant, immigrant are the new scapegoat to blame for all the wrong in America.

Nationalist refers to to the primary race of a country.

America was the 1st country to be based on an idea, stemming from the enlightenment, where the people, from many different areas/countries, would form a new country, based on laws…not heritage.

Patriotism, is not nationalism.

Yup. A right wing racist Democrat.
But that is the past…60+ years ago.

Today, they are called right wing Republicans.

He was a die hard Democrat. Hillary loved and adored him.

This bears repeating.

Nationalism, taken to its logical extreme, is bad. Very bad.

The entire point of history is to avoid our forebears mistakes. The bloodletting at the Somme, at Verdun, at Okinawa, in the Ardennes, and across the Soviet Union should have taught us all an important lesson.

Small amounts of nationalism is necessary for the nation state to even exist. But taken to its conclusion, it only ends in destruction.

Who cares about Hillary she lost bro.

Who was the old scapegoat?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: outstanding!

Cons elected a birther

Looks like everyone at the trump rally is wearing their red hat unifirms

The African Americans, Communist, Japanese, Catholics, in descending order.

I think you’ll find that the group of people who voted for Obama both times and then voted for Trump is actually quite small.

Nationalism is a bad thing.

Why are you posting that crap?

Not necessarily.

"Beginning in the 1970s, Byrd explicitly renounced his earlier views favoring racial segregation. Byrd said that he regretted filibustering and voting against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and would change it if he had the opportunity. Byrd also said that his views changed dramatically after his teenage grandson was killed in a 1982 traffic accident, which put him in a deep emotional valley. “The death of my grandson caused me to stop and think,” said Byrd, adding he came to realize that African-Americans love their children as much as he does his. During debate in 1983 over the passage of the law creating the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday, Byrd grasped the symbolism of the day and its significance to his legacy, telling members of his staff “I’m the only one in the Senate who must vote for this bill”.

That’s not the kind of statement that comes from the Proud Boys or Richard Spencer these days. Or the Unite the Right guys.

Weird, huh?

Patriotism?

I’m sure there are exceptions, particularly for nations without an existing state.

But nationalist movements in established countries are, as a general rule, a bad sign.

The UK was the most nationalist nation on earth, still are pretty much.

Is there a difference between nationalism and a nationalist movement?

Is a nationalist anyone who puts their country first?

Some level of nationalism is necessary for nation-states to exist.

The issue is when it is taken to its conclusion.