Why did/does man create religions?

I mean if you dont understand that PEOPLE make laws, then this conversation is hopeless

Calm down. The topic I am discussing is whether anyone is forcing their religion on you. I don’t see that they are. We are a democracy, a republic. All American citizens have a voice in the laws and their government. If people vote their religious beliefs that is no different from people voting according to their own self-interests or personal beliefs.

Yet, you don’t see people of faith complaining that other’s self interested are being forced on them. We are American citizens, and we agree that matters upon which we disagree will be decided by vote. When American citizens decide, then it is uncalled for to blame religion for a vote you might happen to disagree with. That is all I am saying–and very agreeably, too. :wink:

Religious people have in the past made LAWS based on their religious beliefs. LAWS force people to obey rules.

Now you are starting to see the point I’ve been making all along. People, not religion, make civil laws. So don’t say religion is being forced on you.

Ahhhhhhh ok. So democrats and Obamacare isnt forcing you to buy healthinsurance?

No. You cant play that silly semantic game. That’s super weak. It’s always been about people rationalizing the law with their religion.

And? When you don’t favor a law, then religion must be to blame for the law?

If you cant have an honest conversation beyond silly semantics, just say so. That’s like saying “liberalism” doesnt create laws, people create laws, in defense of liberalism. Absurd and mind boggling.

We disagree. People don’t rationalize the law with their religion any more than people rationalize law with their own self-interests. (See what I did there?)

Notice how many times Meri has twisted what you’ve said such that you have to keep repeating: “No one is saying…?” She does that all the time. It’s tiring.

2 Likes

Facepalm. The ONLY point being made, that started this semantic circus, is that Atheists care about religion, when the people who follow it, use that religion to write laws inspired by that religion.

It feels very intellectually dishonest

It’s like saying “communism doesn’t create laws, people create laws” in response to someone concerned about communism. WEAK

Have a good night. The thread is available for everyone to read.

Yes. Because that’s exactly what he said. Give it a rest.

I’ve always had insurance, I haven’t seen a doctor in twenty years. The fact that the medical field wants the government to force people into buying health insurance says a lot, does it not? The government has the money, and the medical profession wants a lot of it. When the medical profession has the money, the government wants it back. Silly power and wealth games. In the end, this type of thing brings down the government and the nation.

It’s always fascinating to go back to the beginning and watch how she deflects the conversation. The Kellyann Conway of the religion forum.

2 Likes

You completely missed the point of my post…again

Stories are societal glue.

The ability to tell stories is a human evolutionary success story.

1 Like

That made absolutely no sense.

1 Like