Why did/does man create religions?

If the religious want to vote, want to be involved in our elections and laws, then the non religious will care about how the religious directly affect their lives. It’s very simple.

Why are you conflating an elected city council who only has authority over civil matters with a religious matter of a single faith? A city council doesn’t hold power over sales and commerce. They are in charge of government administrators, city projects, and city infrastructure. What people eat, or dictating what grocers sell is not in their purview.

That’s not even remotely the point. This conversation is absurd. All I am saying…all trigger was saying that YES religious people have in the past forced their beliefs into others via LAW. Do you deny this?

I find it incredible that religious people want to write laws inspired by religion, and expect non religious to not care. And then characterize it as “denigrating” if they speak out.

Perfect. Then what is your problem when society of a past era elected people and passed laws that they believed to be right and just?

Why did you say I was “denigrating”?

Ask the supreme court. We have a constitution. Like I said: nobody has problems with religious ppl right to vote. The question is WHY atheists care. I feel you are not following this conversation well at all

Didn’t you say you were against religious people forcing their beliefs on you, and did you not use gay marriage as an example?

Of course I’m against it. Are you against single payer health insurance? Does saying so mean that you dont think Democrats have a right to vote and that you are denigrating then? Wow lol

And others find it incredible that people want to write laws inspired by their own self-interests and expect their opponents not to care about that.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

1 Like

This is VERY simple.

Atheists care about religion when religious inspired law forces them to do something, or prevents them to do something.

THATS IT

No one is saying “religious people shouldnt be able to vote”

Once again, you are conflating two issues. Let’s keep it separate. You said religious people are forcing their beliefs on you. I asked how. You gave gay marriage as an example, and gay marriage is civil law, not religious law. Yet, you are blaming religious people for civil law.

Do religious people who are American citizens have a right to vote for civil officials and on civil matters? When they do, should others accuse them of forcing religion on them? Why not just withdraw your example and give another example of how you feel religion is being forced upon you?

Because PEOPLE make law. Religious people, sometimes based on their religion. What in the world…?

Um, I’ve already said they have a right multiple times. That’s what a LAW is. FORCING PEOPLE to obey certain rules. If the law is unconstitutional the courts ideally strike it down.This is very basic…

Everyone cares when they feel that when opponents with their own self-interest at the forefront force laws on the rest of us. That does not mean that I feel those who work in the medical field (as an example) should not be allowed to vote–or when their vote prevails I should rail against everyone in medicine, claiming it is all their doing.

So, wait, when you said the below, what did you mean?

Sounds like you are disagreeing with a lot of stuff

I disagree that religious people are forcing their religion on you. Does that make me disagreeable? :slight_smile:

NOBODY is saying they shouldnt have a right to vote. NOBODY is “railing against” in this thread, and even if they were, you’re damn right a gay person should rail against being discriminated. WOW

Yes. Gay marriage laws of the past weren’t “forcing”. We’ve now entered the twighlight zone.