Why Coronavirus may spread in the US like wildfire

But we do know, from experts, that is is likely to fall as more numbers come in. But by all means, panic.

You’re just speculating. That is not being said by officials.

Actually Trump isn’t doing much at all. He has people for this. As well as the private sector which is leading the way creating a vaccine. He has the brightest scientists in the world doing it. And there are so few cases in the U.S. that it’s hard to judge how they are doing. So far, so good. Even the stock market has stopped panicking for a while.

I believe the word I used was experts and yes, it is.

Speculation is fine, just don’t pretend it is based on anything factual or actual data.

But it is, this isn’t the first disease outbreak you know. They have a pretty good idea of how the mortality rate will play out over time.

Then you think the WHO is intentionally trying to lie to the world?

It’s his administration, your need for contrarianism notwithstanding.

Private sector is leading the way in creating the vaccine? Orly… Oh can you cite that. Thanks.

Yes, discussing estimates based on actual, known data is certainly “panicking”. Put your straw man away.

I thought we had been over this? Current rate, versus projected. Here, let the Gray Lady explain it to you.

from Coronavirus Updates and Full Coverage - The New York Times

Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the organization’s director general, said in a news conference in Geneva that Covid-19 was deadlier than the seasonal flu but did not transmit as easily. “Globally, about 3.4 percent of reported Covid-19 cases have died,” Dr. Tedros said. “By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1 percent of those infected.”

The figure does not include all mild cases that do not require medical attention and is skewed by Wuhan, where the death rate is several times higher than elsewhere in China. Researchers expect the rate may be reduced as they discover a fuller picture of who has been infected.

The death rate could turn out to be below 1 percent, according to an editorial published by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and Dr. H. Clifford Lane, of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert R. Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

So your speculation is based on an editorial?

If the WHO had information that supported the speculation that a vast population of mild unreported cases existed, they would adjust their numbers accordingly or state that directly.

You’re welcome. But, I agree with you that a lot of credit needs to go to the President’s people as well.

The vaccine was developed in the early 2010s, by a team led by Peter Hotez and Maria Elena Bottazzi at the Baylor College of Medicine. It was originally intended to vaccinate against severe acute respiratory syndrome, aka SARS, which is also a kind of coronavirus.

I don’t know what else to call pretending the current rate is anything close to what the eventual rate when more data comes in will be. But hey, if you want to make a signature bet on whether or not it will be lower or higher than 3.4% in a years time, I am game.

Yes, you know what expert opinions are right?

I had provided 2 examples in my OP of why the Coronavirus may spread like wildfire in the US.

But I guess I’d better spell it out.

The virus is going to spread because people - particularly Americans - are going to do what they want to do and ■■■■ everybody else.

The woman who saw the Do Not Enter sign and entered anyway?

The guy who was asked to isolate himself but thought, Hell no, I don’t care if I’m sick, I’m going to this private event that I’ve paid good money for.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Whether people are doing it because they think that if they spread anything they’ll just be giving people a cold (because of Rush’s statement on that) or if they’d do what they want to do in defiance of requests and orders and don’t care if they give the disease to some old person who subsequently dies…that no one can say.

The fact remains that depending on people to act with common sense and consideration for others is probably not going to produce the hoped for results.

That’s a good article thanks.

The vaccine was developed in the early 2010s, by a team led by Peter Hotez and Maria Elena Bottazzi at the Baylor College of Medicine.

And this is just one option—there are several other groups working on vaccines tailored to the new coronavirus. One team, from the National Institutes of Health and Moderna drug company,

Leading!

Shut cho mouth. Leave the strawman outta this! :rage:

There was never a realistic chance of this not spreading, whether people who know they have it behave themselves or not. It has too long a period of asymptomatic but infectious to contain. All you can do is protect yourself by washing your hands frequently and avoiding close contact with lots of people.

It is still speculation within a single editorial. Call me a cynic :upside_down_face: