Why aren't you Catholic?

The Catholic Church did not have to “return” to beliefs and practices of the first century–they were all carried forward, none eliminated. “Sacrament” is the term that was used to describe these practices and teachings of Christ. The word comes from the Latin, meaning devote or devotion to (these practices and disciplines of Christ).

They may have said limbo. It’s been a long time. But they should not have disparaged the lady who lost her baby. I would have simply said, sure, your baby is in heaven. When it comes to another persons feelings I think it’s fine to make up something. It could very well be what we are all already doing anyway.

Because I do not need to be a Catholic to follow Christ.

I have a tendency to do what I want and then justify it as the right thing.

Blindly following any denomination might be a bad idea, but pretending I know more than any of them (Yay me!) didn’t work out so well either.

I wasn’t there, so I don’t know, but I cannot imagine anyone disparaging a lady who lost a child. It certainly did not happen that way with my sister. I can’t disagree that it would be fine to make something up…but I wonder if that is what is best. Most of us do not care to be patronized. Here is an example from my own childhood where a priest took me seriously without promising me something to make me feel better. I had an atheist grandfather.

1. I loved my grandfather, could I imagine God loving him more? (I could)
  2. The Church taught the way of salvation and redemption, but when it failed to reach or convince someone, could I remember that with God all things are possible? (I could)
  3. Could I remember that heaven was in search of people who were like pearls of great price? (I could)

Father explained that while the Church could only guarantee salvation through the way of Christ and what he taught, the lack of that guarantee for my grandfather did not in any way doom him to hell. Quite simply the church just couldn’t guarantee his salvation and redemption.

I feel more more assured by this explanation than had I been given a pat on the head and a glib lie that Grandpa would be in heaven. I am also assured I can trust the Church in laying out the truth.

I’ve heard/readsome pretty horrid things said by people who ‘thought’ they were relating what their organized denomination taught. It wouldn’t surprise me if one or more misinformed people slipped through the cracks and in a formal religion class taught his own beliefs as 'what we Catholics say is… or ‘what we Methodists, not the United Methodists, we other ones, say is …’

With all due respect that’s nonsense. There are a great many beliefs and traditions in the Catholic Church that were never mentioned in the scriptures.

Not really sure I buy that distinction given that the Church was most decidedly a world political power back when the worst of those religious wars were raging.

My church lights candles and plays an organ. The priest wears robes and we use a cross as our symbol.

Not only are three of those not in the Bible, organs didn’t exist in Christs days and His first followers used a FISH as their symbol. To them a cross as symbol would have been macabre, like using an electric chair or a guillotine as a symbol.

I don’t necessarily endorse everyone of the changes the church added in later centuries, but it produced some groovy music.:notes:

Hello. Not liking this new format so far

Eventually the people of Europe wised up and said “Your just SAYING” this is a war for God. Really it’s a war for you."

Of course people were smarter in those days.
I highly recommend people wise up as they did.

Koushi! Welcome! I’ve been waiting for you! Think of the new format as the first day of high school. The whole place seems confusing the first couple of days, but it quickly becomes sane.

I keep exploring and pushing any button that is not familiar to me at first, and keep getting all sorts of automated messages trying to steer me right. (Kind of like a hall monitor!)

We will have to wait and see.

If it is true that God doesn’t need an intermediary, why did he send Jesus?

Are you talking about something other than the seven things Merri mentioned? Because near as I can tell, all seven of those things (sacraments) are mentioned in scripture.

Now if you are talking about something else, that would be moving the goalposts.

For some, for others like myself, it is another way of drawing oneself closer to God in a more formal and ritualized manner.

I thought it was that God doesn’t need a starship…

That too…

not to talk. But to be sacrificed.

I would just say that I (speaking now and from my former perspective) disagree with you on matters of doctrine and will leave it at that. The OP question is why aren’t you a Catholic? I would have to answer that I could not be a Catholic, as it would have required me to adopt a number of doctrines I strongly disagree with. I am simply too far away in point of view (and was at a younger age) to ever find any common ground with the Catholic Church.

And I would give the same answer to Islam, to charismatic denominations, Orthodox Christian denominations, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, etc. Simply no common ground.