Why aren't you Catholic?

No- Protestants can trace their history all the way back as well, since they were originally of the Catholic faith.

They didn’t sacrifice that lineage because they separated.

And nice roundabout way to say “Luther was wrong”.

You asked why non-Catholics don’t want to get back with Catholics. I told you why.

You’re not going to get very far simply by declaring they are wrong to do so.

Perhaps replace “Catholic Doctrine” with “Early Christian Doctrine” and reflect on that for a time. When people came to Jesus, he said, “Your sins are forgiven”, he did not say, Go pray to the Father. One of Jesus’ main purposes was to pronounce the forgiveness of sins, and this is how Confession became a tenet and a practice within the early Christian Church and the Catholic faith. If Methodists think that in the Catholic faith it’s an either “pray directly” or “Confession”, then they are sadly mistaken. It is both. Catholics remember the disciplines which come with graces that Christ set forth. Turning one’s back on graces should not be taken lightly.

Early Christians believed in the True Presence as can be seen in pieces of Roman history where Christians were called cannibals because of their insistence on Christ’s presence in the bread and wine. Recall Jesus losing many followers when he, himself, presented this teaching.

While following these teachings of Christ, the Apostles, and the Early Christians bring grace and blessings to many, faith in Christ without these two teachings is still nothing to be sneezed at. I wish you well in your own faith journey.

To clarify: I am speaking of opposing doctrines between Catholics and Protestants. The two have many doctrines that are exactly the same. Luther is an interesting historical study in and of himself, another place where delving into history gets messy. Part of this is how political interests were using Luther for their own purposes and gain. On top of that, people in the Catholic hierarchy were just as human as Luther, and politically the Church and Kings were on the losing side of a new day dawning in politics.

Yes, is some respects Luther was wrong. In others, he held his own opinions. Over and above all of that is he did have a hard life and for most of his life he held himself (almost brutally) to exacting standards. A very interesting man.

I am a catholic but have some huge issues with the church. The obscene amount of wealth the Catholic Church has acquired bothers me greatly.

I don’t agree with their teachings on contraception along with their stance on abortions and homosexuality. Yet I still consider my a Catholic.

I attend church and would like to participate more actively in the church community.

Obviously many will call me a hypocrite and say I cannot be at odds with fundamental teachings of the church and still consider myself a catholic but I feel completely comfortable and at ease as a Catholic .

I grew up Catholic.

When my dad died in 91 I had a resurgence of faith. Was in Knights of Columbus, youth ministry, music ministry, and hosted bible meetings in my home, and was in the archdiocesan choir of Baltimore that sang the mass when pope John Paul visited Camden yards.

All gone now. I pray but I never go to church. I just don’t believe the institution is important to me anymore.

I don’t agree with its rules either. Masturbation is normal! Babies that die before being baptized are not doomed to purgatory (that’s what a lady who had lost her baby was told in an RCIA class I attended).

I don’t feel like I abandoned God. I just feel that we have a different relationship now.

The simplest answer is because I grew up in a southern baptist family. While they weren’t hardcore anti-Catholics, there was a fair amount of Catholic bashing. In my experience, basically most of the issues people bash Catholicism for are based on misconceptions or straight up falsehoods. I’ve come to realize that through spending time on the religious forum and hearing thoughtful Catholics clearly explain their beliefs.

I attend a Church of Christ church, though I don’t personally identify with any specific denomination. It’s what my wife grew up in and I don’t mind having differences with the church I attend. I love the people and the work we do.

I’ve actually never attended a Catholic mass before. We have close friends who are Catholic and wouldn’t mind attending with them to experience it. I don’t think it would quite be my cup of tea, but I don’t have any major objections to their teachings in general. I actually admire quite a bit about the Church.

The Church may have wealth, but it is also the most charitable organization in the world. If you are speaking of the wealth accumulated through the ages in Rome and Vatican City, to this day it inspires people who visit there. Isn’t the everyday visitor as important as the poor? Scripture seems to indicate that both should be treated equally. (Just something to think about.)

As far as the Church’s position on birth control: Pope Paul VI was fully expected to approve of the birth control pill. He prayed over it, and in the end he could not do it. Prayer reminded him of certain truths: The Church considers life the greatest gift of all, and that is why the Church has always considered sex to be sacred. First, birth control views sex as more recreational than sacred, and it prevents life rather than promoting it. This in itself is a good ecclesiastical position, but Pope Paul was equally concerned over another possibility down the road.

What was the next logical step if the Church approved birth control…and birth control failed? Pope Paul foresaw abortion and its legalization well before Roe vs Wade and the US Supreme Court decision. He saw the circle of welcoming life go to preventing life and ultimately to killing life. He determined the Church position had to remain staunch in welcoming and protecting life.

Can the Church teach, For heterosexuals, sex is to remain sacred, not promoted solely for recreational purposes, and then turn around and say, But if a person is homosexual, they can have all the recreational sex they want. Being homosexual is not a sin, any more than being attracted to a married woman is a sin…unless that attraction is acted upon. Adulterers are forgiven, and so are homosexuals. The Church does not have a difference stance for homosexuals than it has for heterosexuals. It would be horribly patronizing if they did. Also, the Church always has and will always welcome those with homosexual desires.

Of course you are Catholic!!! No doubt in my mind, that not only a Catholic, but a good one. You are an individual–not an institution which has promised to be the example of the teachings of Christ and the Apostles as handed down. You are not a hypocrite! You profess sincere love for others and concern for the poor.

If your local church has as many ministries as the church I attend, you may find one that calls to you. We had a ministry fair just last weekend. Many Catholics attending that church did not realize we do so much and that additional hands are always welcome.

1 Like

From what I have heard from protestants,
it’s 1) that inordinate emphasis on Mary, 2) the historical bad behavior of Popes, 3) the early policies of keeping the masses ignorant of the holy scriptures, and 4) the tendency for high falutin rituals that look like scenes from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Those men that Jesus selected, the fishermen, and the carpenter himself don’t fit in such scenes.

That said…I suspect that many still find salvation in a Catholic church.

I have ‘always said’ that religions didn’t cause history’s religious wars. Big governments did.

That’s true, Amen. If religion didn’t exist, the power hungry and paranoid home sapien leaders would convince people that those who eat potatoes are wrong and those who eat wheat are right. Or use race, eye color, language, … anything … to justify a fight.

1 Like

What chapter and verse of the Bible are the Seven Sacraments located in?

(Said playfully, not disparagingly):
I’m pretty sure baptism is in there somewhere. Should I help you look for it?

From what I have heard from protestants,

it’s 1) that inordinate emphasis on Mary,[/quote]

How is acknowledging Jesus’ mother and the part she played in his life an “inordinate emphasis” any more than having daily Mass (with both Old and New Testament readings/commentary and communion an “inordinate emphasis”? Could it be Catholics give significance to everything about scripture and Christ’s life while Protestants offer a Cliff Notes version? (Not that they would phrase it that way. :slightly_smiling_face: )

1. the historical bad behavior of Popes,

There is also the historical exemplary behavior of Popes. Why raise bad behavior over good?

1. the early policies of keeping the masses ignorant of the holy scriptures,

Totally false. Before the printing press, each church had a Bible available to read and study. Since the literacy rate was so low, there was also priests who could teach. After the printing press, those looking to make a quick buck offered their own poorly translated and edited versions of the Bible. They then yelled at the Church for not authorizing their rendition. The Church indeed had authorized translations of the Bible. Check it out. (Protestants don’t bother to offer this fact.) I wonder how many Protestants today recommend the unauthorized versions of the Bible. Those that recommend only authorized versions have placed themselves in the exact same position they accuse the Catholic Church of taking five or six hundred years ago.

and 4) the tendency for high falutin rituals that look like scenes from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Those men that Jesus selected, the fishermen, and the carpenter himself don’t fit in such scenes.

Yes, the Catholic Church is strong on tradition. We can go to any foreign country on any given Sunday and the ritual is pretty much the same. We are unified in that way. Also we consider the Church to be those who are alive today and those who have passed on. We worship with one voice throughout time. It does not take much time to understand the traditions and the rituals that have come to us down through the ages rather than being made up on the spot.

That said…I suspect that many still find salvation in a Catholic church.

God’s love is amazing–even towards Catholics. :wink:

Are you addressing me?

Purgatory are not a place of doom, and in any case, the Church does not teach that is where unbaptized babies go. The term “Limbo” may have been used, but that is directed at the Church, not at Babies. Scripture doesn’t tell us what happens to unbaptized babies, so we are in limbo as to the fate of these babies (unless we want to make up something outside of scripture). The best the Church can say (as they told my sister) that we entrust these little ones to the mercy and love of God.

Church is community worship. There is also individual worship. One should not preclude or overshadow the other. You non-attendance may very well be what is best for you, the individual. But…is your non-attendance what is best for the community? We each must ask ourselves, “How much do I care about the community?”

I am sure you did not abandon God, and even more sure He did not abandon you. It appears that you merely left the community, either because they had nothing to offer you, or because you had nothing to offer them. It happens. And, sometimes it happens because one wants to focus closely on their own relationship with God without distractions.

Yes. Sorry I forgot to quote.

I love the people and the work we do.

This tells me you are in the right place for you.

If you ever do go to Mass with your friends, I would recommend Googling something on the order of “Explaining the Catholic Mass for children.” These are usually quick, concise explanations rather than a lengthy, in depth study. Be sure to search for Catholic Mass, or you will find yourself learning about mass as it relates to science class. :wink:

Read the Gospels. They are all there, most in all the Gospels. A careful reading of the Gospels brings the following to light:

1. Christ said to be baptized.
  2. Christ forgave sins.
  3. Christ instituted the Last Supper
  4. Christ promised the coming of the Holy Spirit (then see Acts where this occurred)
  5. Christ appointed Apostles to teach.
  6. Christ taught marriage was a contract man made before God, and as such was not to be broken.
  7. Christ healed the sick.

After Jesus’ death, the Apostles first spoke, then wrote, of these practices and words of Christ. The Catholic Church has carried on with these to this day.

Well you could come up with any number of ‘sacraments’ in such a way after all a lot of other things were taught. I knew the term was nowhere to be found in the scriptures.

I have a problem accepting terms, beliefs, practices, and especially traditions not mentioned in the scriptures themselves.

That’s why we had a restoration movement. To return to the beliefs and practices of the 1st century as recorded in the scriptures themselves.

1 Like

In the reformation (and before it, and after it) kings and princes would switch between Catholicism and Protestantism according to whatever would protect and expand their power, then order their people to ‘fight God’s war’ claiming it was ‘for God.’

Before it was over, alliances of Catholic princes would form with Protestant princes, to fight whichever Catholic or Protestant happened to be on their mutual border, because they couldn’t decide which one should switch religion before fighting for the one true religion.

Does anyone REALLY think the Crusades were not fought over money empire and territory but were REALLY about religion?

Is anyone so stupid as to think pagan kings switched to Christianity because they became true believers? Or that the people who converted them sought God not earthly power and wealth?

Did the English church split because the English monarchs had a spiritual moment and did not care about power and money? Did the English church oppress the puritans, the pilgrims, the quakers and methodists because

• those religions threatened their earthly hold on earthly gov’t power
  • or because of actual doctrinal disputes?

Does Islam REALLY teach planes should be flown into buildings?

“For God and Country” was originally “Pro aris et focis,” a slogan of the Ancient Roman empire. Were the Ceasars devout religionists truly spreading what they thought to be the Gods’ will or power hungry big government types wanting to expand their governments power?

Did the Aztec empor, the Mayan emporer, and the Japanese emporer really believe they themselves were Gods or were they big government types who lied and used religion to expand their governments’ power?

Historically the ‘wars of religion’ were just plain old big governments lying.

Or as Meri put it: