Why aren't you Catholic?

It’s not all a bad thing though. I’ve been on a journey of understanding for a few years now and it wouldn’t have been made possible had I not left organized religion. At least I get to have polite and rational conversations with people like you. :slight_smile:

I am delighted to see you back. It has been awhile. One of the weak spots in organized religion is that we all gather together–babies through centenarians, people who know a little and people who know a lot. In the sixth century, Theresa of Avila noted in her book, The Interior Castle that of the seven levels of Christianity, the most ardent church-goer and even the best church–can only get us to the second level–if that. Still, I don’t advocate that everyone leave church, only that they go much farther beyond church.

1 Like

Oh boy. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yeah I don’t really understand young earth creationism. If the earth is only say, 7000 years old, how on earth do you reconcile the fact that light travels at a finite speed no matter the distance? we are capable of seeing light from galaxies that are literally billions of light years away from us.

I don’t know if the days of creation were literally 24 hour days but i absolutely believe in creationism vs evolution.

God created the universe with that light already in transit. And he did it to fool those who believe in science so he could condemn their souls to the fiery pit for an eternity of suffering for the sin of believing repeatable, verifiable science instead of a 6,000 year old tale conceived by goat herders. Which would of course make God a trickster, a liar, and the original father of deceit.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Creation through evolution.

I believe Creation as well. I just believe it happened ~14.5 billion years ago and that Evolution was an integral part of the Design.

If we’re talking about creationism now instead of Catholicism, consider the order of creation established in Genesis:

Day One
Creation Day 1.

Watery, formless planet Earth suspended in the darkness and the void of space (no sun or any other stars, no moon, no planets yet existed—except for Earth).

Light.

Separation of light from the darkness—and the first indication that the planet is rotating (day and night cycle produced).

Day Two
Creation Day 2.

Formation of Earth’s atmosphere, separating the water into two parts:
(a) oceanic and subterranean water
(b) atmospheric water.

Day Three
Creation Day 3.

Dry land and oceans.

System to water the entire land surface using subterranean waters (involving springs or mist, or both).

Vegetation, seed-bearing plants, trees that bear fruit.

Garden of Eden (probably).

Day Four
Creation Day 4.

Sun

Moon—complete with established orbit so as to mark passage of time (months, seasons, and years).

Stars and other planets.

Let’s stop there. Note the sun is created on day 4. This presents many problems.

1. The temperature in space absent radiation from the sun is about 455 degrees below 0.
  2. Day 1 would involve an earth sized ball of ice. Not a watery planet.
  3. Light is created on day 1. Without a sun to provide it, where did that light come from?
  4. With no sun as a reference, how did the first day end regardless of if the planet was rotating?
  5. Day 2, forming the atmosphere. Still no sun, no heat, the planet is still an icy ball.
  6. Day 3. Oceans formed, Still minus 455 degrees the ocean would be ice from top to bottom.
  7. Plants created, Still -455 degrees, they all would die of cold.
  8. Day 4, now the sun is formed. Oceans still ice (it would take more than a day to thaw) and the plants still frozen and dead. The garden of Eden would be a barren frozen wasteland full of dead plant-cicles.

I don’t think so. Agree to disagree.

With who? lol

With each other. I don’t think evolution was part of the design. Am a bit skeptical of evolution to be honest.

The Good News is Catholics do not consider it a sin to believe in six-day creation. :smiley:

Ok i guess. :smiley:

The power of God is limitless. Plus we don’t know how long each day was.

My bad, I must’ve gotten lost again. lol

No problem. Join the club. :grin:

Ah yes. The go to, fall back response when one doesn’t have an answer. 'I don’t know how God did it, but I know science and its evidence is wrong. ’

THAT would support my creation through evolution statement.

I’m not aware of anyone who does. Creation is not a salvation issue.

Not at all. Just means God might not have done it in 24 hour days. On the other hand it might have been 24 hour days. No way of knowing that.

What is known is that God is powerful enough to do it exactly as the Bible says he did.