Why aren't you Catholic?

Nobody is trying to burn down the Catholic Church. We just have theological differences.

We are not burning your Church down any more than you are ours.

1 Like

I believe the universal Church consists of all believers in Christ. Not one catholic or protestant church.

Thinks about this Meri, what bif we all get to heaven and find out we are all at least partly right? That will be glorious, all of us praising God with one voice. Who knows Meri. I just do not believe God is pleased with this big long disagreement we have had all these years. Not us but Catholic and protestants.The older I get the more open i get about all this.

I just saw the smilie button on the new forum. I am going to hold back my friend, hopefully to bring a smile on your face as you read this. Peace my friend

1 Like

You are welcome and thank you for the kind words.

The Catechism writes

161 Believing in Jesus Christ and in the One who sent him for our salvation is necessary for obtaining that salvation… without faith no one has ever attained justification, nor will anyone obtain eternal life.

As I posted (post 162 above) that the Catholic Church teaches faith, baptism, the church are each necessary for salvation (but God may grant exceptions)

I do not REALLY recall if it teaches works and the other sacraments are “also necessary” or “stem naturally from the first three.” Nor do I really care,
which is strange because I overanalyze things so much, I can actually provide the correct answer to such questions as “Which came first, the chicken or the egg?” and "If a tree falls …?and “How much wood would a woodchuck chuck…?” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Described it as erecting and burning straw men, not a church. Didn’t we establish a long, long time ago that all Christian churches view grace as a gift from God? Also, that God causes the sun to rise and rain to fall on both the good and the bad? It’s all about response. Sleeping through sunny days and not using rain water prudently is a poor response to these gifts and they are to no avail. The same is true of grace. If we do not respond to grace, how can we claim to be on the way of salvation?

Thank you regarding the emoji smiles. Remember my objection was not the use of various emojis, sparingly throughout any post. I criticized the same emoji being used in the exact same place in every single post–no matter whether the post was sharp or gentle.

For example, if you don’t like something I said, definitely don’t use a smile emoji, but what about this one (unamused). :unamused:

What you want to call “universal” is already called catholic (notice the small-c). And, as I’ve said more than once before, I think what is most likely that those who are closest to God are about a half-inch closer to God than those who are the most distant. That half inch might make for interesting discussions here, but it’s not going to matter at all there. :sheep:

:shrug:

Agree to disagree.

Thank you. I’m not religious at all so I really can’t contribute in any meaningful way, but I’m sure I’ll put my $0.02 in every once in awhile.

I look forward to it.

Well Catholicism was founded by Jewish converts ya know. (wink)

So you would abandon Jesus?

Quite the contrary. Judaism is more in line with what Jesus taught than some Protestant sects. I would not convert to Judaism, it is simply what I would choose for community worship. (Jesus said he and the Father are one.) Private prayer and worship would remain with Christ. Therefore, I could never convert to Judaism. For the same reason, I could never convert to Protestantism.

I think God has pretty broad shoulders.
He’s likely more interested in us actually doing what he said than in us following any particular way to worship Him.

WWJD?

I hear he went to the Synagogue…

1 Like

:+1:
ten characters

I find mass to be boring.

I wrote you a cute, funny response, but it was too long. So chuckle and thank me for taking your advice to shorten my posts.

F[quote=“Meriweather, post:193, topic:119, full:true”]

Quite the contrary. Judaism is more in line with what Jesus taught than some Protestant sects. I would not convert to Judaism, it is simply what I would choose for community worship. (Jesus said he and the Father are one.) Private prayer and worship would remain with Christ. Therefore, I could never convert to Judaism. For the same reason, I could never convert to Protestantism.
[/quote]

Why not be an independent Christian?

In order to convert to Judaism you would be rejecting all other religions.

Recall I said I would not convert to Judaism, that I would join them for community worship. I am probably more of a recluse than most, more of a hermit than most. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, I do see a great deal of value of community prayer and worship as well as independent and worship. I would feel more comfortable with Judaism that Protestantism.

Gv[quote=“Meriweather, post:200, topic:119, full:true”]

Recall I said I would not convert to Judaism, that I would join them for community worship. I am probably more of a recluse than most, more of a hermit than most. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, I do see a great deal of value of community prayer and worship as well as independent and worship. I would feel more comfortable with Judaism that Protestantism.
[/quote]

I see what you are saying, but I think you are oversimplifying.

You know that would be a very different community worship.

There are many other Christian choices. considered “Protestant” that are very close to Catholic style and teachings. You would have to convert for Communion.

I am not interested in very close. Perhaps those who feel they are very close can rejoin the Church–and then I could leave them, too! :grinning: