Why are we STILL so far behind?

Two hundred bucks I saw somewhere, that’s pretty impressive.

We need to know that…that is incredibly important for predicting how bad this will be and what we need to do to flatten.

Now here is an interesting surrogate to that. There’s a company named Kinsa that is selling smart thermometers. They then use people taking their temperature to create heat maps of “fever hot spots” in the US. Supposedly they used the maps they created from the data to help show as a leading indicator this flu season was more severe than normal.

And now they believe they are tracking coronavirus.

They supposedly have enough data to know what a region’s “baseline fever rate” is and then can show the fever rate in that area is running higher than normal.

This would be a good surrogate as many COVID people with mild symptoms who never report would still be monitoring their temperature.

If I was the government I’d investigate this company and if this is true, finance them to give these thermometers out to many more people. You can tell from the map that they are likely missing a lot of data due to not having enough thermometers in certain regions.

This still wouldn’t pick up asymptomatic people but would help scientists know where to go to track for them via the serosurveys and other tests I was talking about.

Our high tech tools and strong data analytics give me hope we can do a better job fighting pandemics in the future. People would have to be willing to have their data tracked like this, but investments like this are what we need to do.

This plus improving our sequencing capabilities even more and ramping up how we make vaccines via some of the “synthetic sequencing” we were talking about.

At least social security will be extended for a few more years as Corona thins the herd, Bro.

1 Like

I have been monitoring my temp since I knew Corona causes a fever, also keep an eye on bowel movements and if I or my family have unusual stomach pains, diarrhea, or gastro issues.

Ordered a thermometer from Amazon for my son so he can keep an eye on his too. Thermometers are sold out like alcohol, wipes, and sanitizer.

I know.

And Kinsa is selling out faster than they can make these.

They were giving them away at first.

In the future all thermometers should be smart thermometers.

I like that. There are a lot of those around :+1:

1 Like

Unless one wants a stupid thermometer.

1 Like

Ok this was funny…I don’t care who you are.

I am still trying to figure out who you are. Jayjay, we will get through this crisis… keep the Faith, Bro #wegotitusa

I believe we will get through it too.

This won’t destroy either the US or the economy.

I’ve never believed differently.

I’m simply a realist.

We are going to take a big hit…bigger than we had to.

Bigger than people are expecting…even now.

My heart and mind are steeled for that to happen so I will be fine.

But it will be a lot for Americans to bear…character is going to be tested.

1 Like

@JayJay. We can agree wholeheartedly on that. Peace, Bos’un

That’s fascinating. I mean that. Hopefully some of that is in the works.

The whole frikking state of Florida! Gads! It wouldn’t surprise me though, there are some stupid ■■■■■■■ people here!

They figured out how to put cotton on a stick and put it in a box. Good.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl:I was trying to give em Hope. :rofl::rofl:

South Korea also has about 1/6th the population of the US.

Now add in the fact there is world wide demand for these kits, plus they are hard to make, and you get the bigger picture.

There are currently not enough kits to go around right now, and we couldn’t test all 300+ Americans if we wanted to.

If it was just cotton on a stick, Q-Tips would suffice.

It’s more than cotton…way more.

I was being sarcastic. It has to be a long stick. My understanding is it’s not pleasant.

and said workers at its Hilden, Germany, and Barcelona, Spain, manufacturing sites were moving to work three shifts, seven days a week in order to ramp up production. The company is also bringing on new staff and making better use of a site in Germantown, Md., to try and make the test kits.

So we see the same problem over and over.

Completely different test using different components and chemicals.