Who is Behind the Current Unrest?

I know you think these questions divert from the fact you created a fiction to support your belief, but they don’t.

Mellow Johnny’s location, next to the federal courthouse, and between the most expensive residential skyscrapers downtown, is not at all as you felt you needed it to be.

Did you know they have a coffee house? Showers? That Lance Armstrong owns it? You’re much more likely to see a judge or a millionaire in spandex tuning $10,000 bike than you will what you imagined.

So in reality, a shop that’s a favorite spot and morning meeting place for local power brokers is what we’re describing here. As I said, reality is more interesting than fiction.

It just seems notable to me that threads that like to wax poetic about “who is behind the current unrest” have to start with loaded statements about " largely elite white college students" that are made up.

What good is an opinion if it’s formed on fiction?

Actually it isn’t. Many black Americans fear being victimized in their neighborhoods

Here is that Gallup poll alluded to in the O P

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/06/gallup-81-percent-of-black-americans-want-police-protection-some-want-https://reason.com/2020/08/06/81-percent-of-black-americans-want-the-same-level-or-more-of-police-presence-gallup/

Interestingly enough, Asian Americans were most likely to want less police presence in their neighborhoods

Basically young, mostly white, as in the above photo, and Asian adults are promoting changes for black Americans that a majority of black Americans polled don’t even want.

Yeah. No. A coffee house and showers is exactly how I would expect a bike shop to the rich white elite to be.

A few quotes from their statement…

We regret not publicizing our decision before it was presented by others on social media.

Translation: Damn we never intended it to be public knowledge. :grimacing:

Our entire employee group was engaged

Translation: a few snowflake cancel culture employees whined & we capitulated. :woman_shrugging:t2:

We do believe our local police force will protect us from the very threats we are receiving right now.

No translation just my hope that when they call for help the Austin PD sends their slowest walking foot patrol officers. :smirk:

2 Likes

You would of course be correct.

The extreme left is behind this and always has been since “Hands Up Don’t Shoot” which then morphed into BLM.

Just an observation. I don’t know if everyone who is occupying and demonstrating in major cities is a resident of that city. However, the “protesters” that I’ve seen appear to be relatively young, healthy, well nourished, decently clothed. Now if such people appear at a rally or protest for a few days, or even weeks, I can imagine that this is how they want to spend their school break or vacation time. But when it goes on for months, you do have to wonder how they are providing food, shelter, clothing, transportation for themselves. I doubt that young people have been in the workplace long enough (or at all, if they were students) to be receiving unemployment, certainly not enough to support them through months of protests.
So, the question I would ask is who is funding the current protests? I know that no one in our family could afford to take 2,3,4 months off to participate in this kind of activity, not even if we were receiving unemployment.

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blackenterprise.com/black-lives-matter-corporate-america-has-pledged-1-678-billion-so-far/amp/

And the state attorney will spike any prosecution. Waste of time. Just find an alternative source from a bike supplier with civic balls.

You of course have no way of proving this is true.

Too funny. Most of those white lib kids are from wealthy parents that work in tech industry.

1 Like

“We would have taken a bike, but…”

3 Likes

What’s your theory?

All we have to do is listen to what they say, proof positive.

The majority are whits folks, and younger…but how do you know their wealth situation?

For more detailed info:

The umbrella man did it.

Why make stuff up in the first place? Super unnecessary.

Stop acting like you have some statistical survey of the clients of that shop. I gave my reasoning for what I believe. Stop making up like you have a survey…or provide it.

I’m not. I’m acting like a customer who knows you what you said wasn’t true at all, and finds the need to make things up about “rich white college kids” revealing.

Downtown, high end residential skyscrapers and the federal courthouse.

UT is miles away. Students don’t live in downtown Austin.

Now go to their (Mellow J) web page. Check out their clubs. First one listed…“Texas Cycling”. What is Texas cycling?

Apparently they found their way there.

And my OP point was about the contrast of what the average black American wanted and who was behind the sort of BLM/defund ideology. How many black faces to you find in the facebook or website of Mellow Johnnies?
My point stands.

Doug, you said something that you thought felt good to fit your point, but I’ve pointed out to you its not true. The downside to making things up that feel good is sometimes you run into someone who knows the reality and they have to point it out.

You could have said that about any other bike shop than the one Lance Armstrong owns inbetween the skyscrapers and federal courthouse and I’d have no argument.

As I said before, the reality of the shop that serving high-end clientele and is the court house bike commuter paradise is much more interesting than things that feel good to make up.