White Privilege

As a 6’4" male, I would say yes. But not that much of a privilege. In other ways,a disadvantage. (ie…hotel showers.)

Absolutely! I get better looking every time my income bracket goes up. Who wants to be born maxed out? :man_shrugging:

I know how you feel on that. I have both enslaved blacks in my ancestry and I have a slave owning ancestor through my white grandmother’s family.

I don’t feel any guilt over any of it. That was then. This is now. If anything I feel like it gives people like you and me a very interesting perspective in our past.

A high school friend of mine was in a similar boat. His direct ancestry is German and British descended American. His great grandmother immigrated to the United States after World War II after marrying his great grandfather, who served in the war and was in Germany for the occupation for a few years.

What’s notable is that his great grandmother had several siblings and cousins who fought in the war for the Wehrmacht. He learned that one of her cousins actually fought in the same battle (it was one of those small no name engagements in Western Germany as the Allies invaded in early 1945) as his great grandfather, but on opposite sides.

1 Like

Well, I’m 68, wait and don’t pay any attention to that guy in the mirror either.
It’s a curse I tell ya.

1 Like

I hardly ever feel sorry for you guys. But on long flights, it’s gotta be rough.

Reminds me of that line in Sea biscuit. The jockey walks into a party with a statuesque blonde. After getting a few disapproving glances he says:

"I’m taller when I’m standing on my wallet." :grin:

2 Likes

Can we get back on topic please.

This is so true, and hardily gets talked about on this board beauty standards. I don’t want to (And couldn’t even if one tried) change them, they are what they are and no plus size model on a magazine is going to change that.

I was watching a show where they took a supermodel and she would go shopping with a hidden camera, people were just giving her free food, drinks, and being beyond super nice to her.

You might have seen this then they take the same girl and put her in a fat suit, Hollywood makeup and all to make her look like a 230 pound unattractive female tank and sent her into the same stores. She didn’t get anything free they didn’t treat her special at all she was basically ignored.

Bottom line their is privilege and non privilege everywhere one looks in society, whether it’s class based, skin color, wealth, weight, attractiveness, man/woman it is the way society works.

A poor fat trailer park stinky white man is not going to have the red carpet rolled out for him when he steps into a business more likely he will be eyed at all times thinking he’s going to steal something or asked to leave if acting the least bit suspicious.

1 Like

Yes. But libs want this label of white privilege. Correction. They need it. People are wising up and calling them on their bull ■■■■■

1 Like

There’s privilege of wealth. Always has been.

If you’re wealthy, or from a wealthy background, life is easier for you. You have more options and you get more chances when you screw up.

I don’t think it’s racial. It’s economic.

Externally, I agree.

True. But by calling it “white privilege” they are doing everything they can to racialize it.

1 Like

Of course the wealthy also have their own struggles.

For example, mental illness. There are plenty of people from wealthy backgrounds whose lives are miserable due to depression, bipolar disorder, and any other numbers of mental illnesses.

The poor and the rich certainly share that in common. Mental imbalance doesn’t care about wealth.

3 Likes

And I disagree with it.

A dirt poor white isn’t any better off than a dirt poor black. The struggles are mostly the same.

One of our worst failures is our atrocious mental health circus. It’s not taken seriously.

4 Likes

Exactly. In many cases you’re told just to “get the hell over it.”

Some people’s brains are just wired weird. Look at Robin Williams. The guy achieved fame and wealth beyond imagination for most people.

In the end he killed himself. A victim of mental illness.

1 Like

THIS^

Definitely young privilege is the thing. As Mark Twain said, better a young June Bug than an old Bird of Paradise.

No doubt. Most companies would rather hire some young, unproven nit wit, than a 50 year old with expertise. The most dangerous years are the years between age 55 and 65. If you loose your job, you are in big trouble. Probably forced into retirement before you’re ready. Even your white privilege won’t save you.

There are millions of “white privileged” middle class some who used to have jobs making almost six figures working their asses off and mortgaged up to the teeth. Yes, that “white privilege” thing is real alright.