White Castle to move forward with Automated Grill

Going to be a long wait for it to take over management. Computers aren’t known for their people skills, you would need a general intelligence AI and that is quite a way off.

Lol you might want to read up on this. This was already coming the next five years, and the pandemic accelerated that. You only need a fraction of the middle managers that exist with ■■■■ like Slack and a good portion of the workforce no longer working in offices.

You sound like my uncle twenty years ago when he assured me that his position as a greeting card executive was in no danger. He was laid off two years later, his company ceased to exist five years after that.

New immigrants working these jobs to learn English and get their first work experience in the U S are “dependent losers”?

Teens?

Laid off, between gigs and willing to wait on tables before they find it?

Stay at home moms who haven’t worked for awhile & could benefit from entry level work?

Um, OK…:grimacing:

Sorry, I have been management. It’s way to complicated for AI, it involves a lot of interpersonal skills and dealing with the unexpected. Not a good fit for AI. Certainly not in the near term. Physics and psychology are not remotely the same in terms of AI. And I am not remotely broke.

Welcome to the future. Here’s how our descendants will “grow”. :wink:

2 Likes

You can’t replace all humans. Or no one would be able to buy your product produced by your robots. This flippy robot is an absolute piece of garbage that wouldn’t replace a single person. In time the tech might improve. But think of what it would have to do to actually replace a person. If all you can do is flip a burger, you’re useless.

There are plenty of people out there that fit into this category and they will NEVER be usefull at anything else, unfortunately.

Why don’t you buy your own robots and go into competition against White Castle then?

If all you need are robots to run a restaurant, then it should be a simple matter of raising enough capital to buy said robots

2 Likes

Love tech. This is great.

I think this could usher in a new era of capitalism, not to mention launching a wave of small businesses.

Imagine everyone in your city owning and operating their own small business, manned by robots.

Could be quite liberating for a lot of people, not to mention disruptive to a lot of large businesses.

I don’t see any problems with the theory. I do see blockades which is based on religion. For example how would Sharia Law hinder progress? You mentioned Marcuse. But his writings were based on politics where Fuller’s views were more science and engineering based.

My thinking as well, if we get a general intelligence level robot, I buy one and send it to work for a wage. Or use it for labor in my own business. The trick is to not allow billionaires a monopoly on their labor.

Wait until we have universal replicators, not all that far off. Provided we don’t kill each other first.

About twenty years ago I was listening to a interesting radio talk show where the subject was what was the greatest invention. And for about a hour the callers mentioned the train, cars, airplane and air conditioning. Then one guy called in and said the transporter. And the radio host said, do you mean the transporter on Star Trek. And the guy said yes.

Totally different techs, transporters, unthinkably far off, universal replicators, maybe decades. Big difference between arranging material on an atomic level and transmitting the data to recreate living organisms, few order of magnitude there.

1 Like

His premise was that mankind given the extra time not having to work for a living would expand the arts and put a end to war.

First of all, “arts” will not end war, they will create more of it.

Second - what are the artists going to eat? Who is going to pay for it?

This is straight up Marcuse.

The greatest inventor of all time IMO was John Moses Browning and his greatest invention is a choice; the 50 caliber machine gun, the Colt 1911 45, the A5 shotgun or the lever action in a Winchester 30/30. Each of these inventions are over a hundred years old and no inventor has been able to improve them. I don’t recall any other time that this has happened but with Browning, it’s happened on several occasions.

1 Like

Good luck with that.

My vote goes to toilet paper.

My robotic sl…ervant will be out in the field watering my food. lol

1 Like