White Castle to move forward with Automated Grill

The “VR gamer/live on Taco Bell” types will shut themselves in and probably die off by 35 if they are lucky. Kind of a self-imposed Logan’s Run.

1 Like

All we need now are robot horse grooms.

Right around the corner.

Allan

Robotics is bs imnsho.

Haven’t even seen the amazing spill detecting robot at my friendly neighborhood grocer yet.

Some folks buy into any and every quick fix western medicine and modern technology peddle, and others are far more skeptical.

I wonder why that is?

Here is some information about minimum wage workers in all 50:

Interesting information IMO. So really not many workers earn this salary, & most who do are young and without a high school diploma, more likely to be black, more likely to be part than full time and more likely to be female than male.

It’s interesting the open contempt some have for young people just getting a start, or maybe women who’ve stayed at home for awhile and might have a harder time going back to jobs they want. Maybe they’re needing some additional training or experience.

So basically the attitude—in all honesty, as pointed out, few workers earn minimum wage or less—is ■■■■ these workers and let automated systems that are nowhere near fool proof take over. I love both the attitude and the sucker that’s born every minute.

Gee I wonder why conservative candidates are considered alienating to anyone but older white males, with attitudes like these. Enjoy you guys’ roboburgers!

Drug tests at fast food joints aren’t mandatory.

I see signs in the all the time for Help Wanted - Starting pay $10-$12.

1 Like

Some are even 14 to 15 dollars locally.

They still can’t get enough help evidently because every fast food place has help wanted signs up.

I see them at lots of business here in NJ, $15-$17/hr.

1 Like

As I said before, here in NJ many jobs are not being filled even with offering $12/hr or more to start. I took my family out to eat the other night. Waited about 1/2 an hour before someone took our order. Regarding having minimum wage jobs for young people, the problem is that many of them don’t do that anymore. I’ve known my share of people whose kids never work a part time job throughout their 4 years of college.

Oh, I’ve known my share of such teens.

Mine, though, is working counter help at a restaurant in another town. I’m trying to get her to independence at her age, 16, not wanting to drive her everywhere and provide for her on my health insurance until she’s 26.

And being replaced by non foolproof automation isn’t going to help in that goal.

In all honesty, I’m seeing both sides of the argument. I see my share of the HELP WANTED signs, too, and IMO it’s one matter if adults don’t apply, but even more pitiful when teens refuse to apply & don’t mind being dependent on parents for years after 18.

I have more issues with the blind acceptance of automated systems. As stated, I’ve experienced them in numerous businesses and when they work, they’re OK. When they don’t it’s a mess, and when there isn’t some sort of backup system…oops.

How do you solve this? Seems like automation can fill the void rather than displacing anyone

Can anyone really blame the companies? Their number one goal is to maximize profits.

Going the automation route to greatly reduce your labor costs is a great way to do that.

Something does need to be done about the economy though. Stagnant wages, inflation and increased housing prices.

Cost of living is getting ridiculous. 30% increase in one year, with another expected 17-22% increase this year in home/rent prices?

They don’t steam the burgers anymore?

Such as?

I’m no economist, so I wouldn’t be able to address the larger issues.

But for housing, I’d like to see limitations places on foreign investment. Business from other countries should not be buying up American homes and lands, and then selling back to us at crazy mark ups.

Limitations on firms buying up apartments and turning them into Airbnb spots. People looking for a place to live shouldn’t be competing with firms turning residences into “hotels”.

Changes in zoning laws, and height limitations, allowing for more affordable housing.

2 Likes

Restaurants like Applebee’s, Chili’s, etc., could put kiosks at every table and the order can then be sent right to the kitchen. Having a person take an order is not needed today. They could also employ robot carts that could bring food to tables. The technology is there. Hire a smaller technical/wait staff to fill in the gaps and who can fix the minor technical glitches that arise. That would be good paying jobs. That’s my two cents.

Most already do this. At the very least you can pay from a kiosk. I know chilis and yardhouse both allow you to order and pay from a kiosk.

This is harder.

People pay to be served by a human. Maybe more commodity sit in restaurants can remove the human server but high end restaurants will never.

1 Like

They might try. But how many employees does flippy replace? How many people are normally flipping a burger? Until flippy can actually go into the freezer, remove and place the burgers on the grill, add, salt, cheese, and put them on a bun, he’s a waste of money. Oh yeah, flippy adding salt is coming soon.

It reminds me of that automatic pizza maker. Not really practical. Sure it’s good and fast if everyone orders a plain pizza, not so fast otherwise. Not replacing jobs. Not at any busy pizzeria.

1 Like

Cousin of mine put himself through college & law school waiting on tables.

He’s a retired judge.

If automation is a solution to positions that aren’t being filled, cool.

But the idea of intentionally replacing all humans with it makes me downright uncomfortable.

That 's my position, I would also add that technology usually creates new and better paying jobs, which benefits the country and those employees.

We’ll see how people feel when it’s their middle management jobs, admin jobs and IT jobs getting the axe.

I’m probably going to point and laugh like y’all have at fast food workers when fifty, sixty year olds are crying and snotting on camera about how unfair it is that remote work and expert systems cost them their careers.

You guys will of course be outraged and there will be no mention about horse and buggies.