Where does it end?

Acceptable

It ends with America an isolated has been in a world dominated by China. We will turn into the 21st Century equivalent of Britain in the 20th.

But weā€™ll have a great coal industry.

2 Likes

I actually agree with this because I might lose my fictional avatar bet with you if Pelosi canā€™t rein the squad in.

Right now they have sympathy from a lot of Americans.

If they keep talking and firing backā€¦some of them are only slightly more likeable than Trump.

The weakness of my stance is always if the Dems fail to realize dislike of Trump does not equal like of some of their policiesā€¦especially in the Blue Wall States they need to win back in 2020.

We have broiled seabass and we have a hot pocket which is cooked in a dirty microwave.

Is your hot pocket cold in the middle?

It is frozen. Of course we do serve one that is molten lava in the center.

Will it burn my mouth?

It will destroy your mouth. Everything will taste like rubber for a month.

Jim Gaffigan is teh funny.

I like my Matt Foley avatar too much to go a changing, even if I think Iā€™ll win :wink:

I stuck with a turkey foot avatar for a year before goodlife finally convinced me to change it. I get something I like and stick with it.

1 Like

Which one of the dem potential nominees strikes you as being ā€œnastier than Trumpā€?

It will end when we elect a civil person as POTUS, and any/all of the potential democratic nominees will be civil.

Thatā€™s my go to on the lake. A little heavy, but you donā€™t need many.

Agreed. This is Trumpā€™s America, and Trumpā€™s political climate. It raised him to the White House and it keeps his base loyal and adoring. If anyone is going to back away from this idiocy, it will have to be someone other than Trump. And right now there are too many on the left playing right into his hands.

Both parties have progressed us to this level of vitriol. Blaming Trump, the reaction, denies rhetoric from both sides that has gotten us here.

1 Like

This is like a fight in a bad marriage. Neither party willing to back down from their position and remember the love they shared. Both sides can be wrong and fix the problem. Both being right will only serve to galvanize each position until it ends in ugliness towards each other.

If we are being honest with where the escalation ends, it will likely be one of two ways.

1. Blood.

2. Trumpā€™s base dying off and being replaced by more sensible younger voters less prone to right wing brainwashing.

2 Likes

See. This side is perfect.

The vitriol has always been there, yes. But to deny Donaldā€™s particular contribution is myopic. He weaponized it, put it on steroids, and dropped any pretense of diplomacy and civility in using it to empower and enrich himself. And he continues to throw gasoline on the fire. To fail to acknowledge his unique, political-gravity-defying contribution to this mess is to engage in eleventy-dimensional denialism.

Did he start this? No, heā€™s not nearly intelligent enough.
Does the left do it too? Of course.
Will things get worse under his reign? You betcha.

1 Like

My side is not perfect, but we have not spent decades crafting our own version of reality to such a point that we were able to convince ourselves Donald ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Trump was a sensible choice for President of the United States.

But you have convinced yourselves that Hillary was? Okie dokie.

In that analogy Donald is an abusive spouse. Or better, an oily divorce lawyer pitting both sides against each other for personal gain.

Heā€™s one of the spouses. Both are abusive of the other.

Trump has been the counterpuncher. Heā€™s played well to the atmosphere that has been fostered over the years.

Yes, an infinitely better choice than Trump. Do you think she would have encouraged a crowd to spew racist venom? Do you think she would have openly admitted to caging toddlers for weeks on end as a deterrence? Do you think she would be dragging our nationā€™s reputation through the mud by playing footsie with Kim and Putin? Do you think we would be discussing the reality that the only reason she wasnā€™t being indicted was the fact she was President?

I know none of these points matter because Trumpists have talked themselves into the ā€œjust as badā€ argument and ā€œboth sidesā€ is their favorite tactic in order to ignore the bad choices they have made, but itā€™s just nonsense.

3 Likes

Has he amplified that atmosphere? Are things worse under his presidency?

The Obama and Trump administrations have convinced me that democracy is dying. There are too many people (both politicians and voters) willing to exploit the weaknesses of the system for power, and modern tech/social media has given those people undue influence.

1 Like