Where did Angels come from?

Doesn’t matter which. It all comes from cultures that came along way before the Hebrew traditions. Same stories, different semantics.

1 Like

My son had seen angels in his childhood. When his great grandfather died he was taking a nap. He was about 3. When he woke up my wife told him Grandpa Heinrich had died. He said I know, he came and told me. He said I should be a good boy…then he said good bye.

When my dad died, he and his closest friend over the years had a falling out. My mom call his wife and told her. She said her husband was still asleep.

When he woke up, she said to him Ken, Steve died. Ken said I know. He came to apologize. We’re good. The falling out was because of my dads brain injury, and not being able to understand other peoples conveyed feelings.

Angels exist. But I believe only to those of true faith in God.

The Bible is very descriptive of Goliath. If true, the Bible makes it clear that he was not just a figurative giant, but a literal giant. SDAs believe that Adam and Eve were giants and that the physical size of men declined, like our lifespans, after the flood. Could angels also be giants?

Not at all. Bibles are VERY different in many things. The KJV died not read at all like what you posted.

My great-grandmother died when my grandfather was five years old. His older brother told the story of being up in the loft where his four younger brothers and sister were sleeping. He watched an angel come into the loft, and take a long, mournful look at each one of them, and then stepped into the moonlight coming through the window and was gone.

I had a young nephew who had a friend who died, and my nephew was young enough he could not quite grasp the realities of death. He went to his room, very upset. Later, when his dad came in to talk with him, he said his friend had just been there and his friend had explained that dying meant he no longer had a body, and because he didn’t have a body he had to live somewhere else–and wouldn’t be able to visit again.

I have no doubt that the Bible is taught differently between the many denominations of Christianity. The KJV is one of those translations with its own flaws.

Anyone who wants to believe their interpretation of recycled accounts is the correct one will, but none of the early writings in Genesis are original. Creation, the Sons of God, Nephilim the Deluge, etc., all come from older cultures.

My rule of thumb is to always look first for the normal and the ordinary–and then look for idioms, similes, and metaphors which abound in stories.

After that, don’t dismiss the unusual. The point of each account is to convey a truth(s) and idioms, similes, metaphors, and the unusual shouldn’t block our vision.

But this is Optrader’s thread and he’s talking about what’s in the Bible. Since he’s a literalist he wouldn’t believe in that “older cultures” stuff.

In respect to his thread you should- IMHO, of course - answer it according to his parameters.

Having said that,l the “older culture stories” just go to show that myths and religions are man-made constructs, invented for a specific purpose - to get people to act in a certain way for the good of all.

Angels breeding with humans? Bunk.

Guardian angels? People point to MT 18:10 as support for the concept. " For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

They have no bodies.

I have a theory (with no basis whatsoever) that “dark matter”, which science describes but cannot directly detect, is actually the Host of Angels.

You mean they only reveal themselves or work in the lived of believers?

We have the texts the KJV is based on and texts the other versions are based on. If what you are saying is true, where are the texts that predate the biblical text

My belief but yeah.

I am interested in what the older culture beliefs are based on. As I understand, writing only goes back about 5 thousand years and seems to have appeared at about the same time all over. If the biblical accounts are based on older stories, where are the texts that the older stories are based on?

they do have bodies. just not made of corruptible flesh. it is a finer more or less incorruptable material. let me ask you this if angels are not somewhat like us how is it that during exodus angels food fell from the sky and people ate it and it sustained them if we are not at least somewhat alike how can the food of angels sustain human life? and how was it that originally (from the time of the garden up until the flood) they could make human females pregnant? God to Satan: (in the form or office of serpent and the form or office of tree of knowledge of Good and Evil) I will place emnity between your seed and her seed. And she continued in labor…etc.

I believe there have been 3 times in my life when I missed being killed and all three times,I attributed my living as acts of a guardian angel. The first incident was when I was 5 and the most recent was just three years ago. I can’t find anything in the Bible which says that we have a specific angel who looks after us, but it seems to me they interact at times…

Eliminating the bad angelic gene pool is critical.
Otherwise Jesus would have been a Son of God, son of man and son of Satan.

If eliminating the sin factor, then the lineage would not go through a prostitute named Rahab.

The Sumerian Eridu Genesis, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and Instructions of Shuruppak.

These are older than any Biblical text, and much comes out of Ur, where Father Abraham was born. These are some of the oldest known works of literature on Earth (though more specifically, oldest surviving). Had they been written on anything else, they may not have survived this long.

5,000 years is an incredibly long time for anything to survive, and there are cultures that predate Mesopotamia by thousands of years.

Here is a permanent settlement in Turkey dating back to around 11,800 years ago, complete with sewage systems, and buildings exceeding 20 feet in height.

It’s not extremely far away from Gobekli Tepe, which is currently considered the oldest known temple on Earth (~12,000 years old). Pillar 43 is said to depict a disaster that nearly annihilated mankind during/toward the end of the Younger Dryas Period. There is physical evidence of a celestial impact event(s) destroying the ice sheets, causing global flooding, and reshaping the continents to a degree.

History is key to understanding the origins of early Biblical texts, and the more that is uncovered, the more they make sense. If anything, these archeological discoveries give physical proof to what was written, specifically regarding the Deluge and the replenishment of Earth/human civilization. The finer details are still being discovered.

I don’t spend any time thinking about it since it’s not my mythos. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t look like it was that important for those who spun the mythos either.

The purposes of these beings in the belief system seemed for important than their back stories or histories.