Where did all the workers go?

That is simply not true.

2 Likes

Glad we could agree.

As someone who has worked both in restaurants and in a car factory, respectfully, you are uninformed. Much harder work in an auto plant.

Compelling commentary! Thanks!!

Already addressed this!

The job requirements/responsibilities of “low-skill” jobs are much different in 2021 than they were in the 60s/70s/80s.

Same. Doesn’t mean that those should be the only options for said cogs.

Pfft, not much has changed in restaurant work. And it hasn’t been that long since I was in a position to know.

Sure, some took advantage. It doesn’t explain what we are see in the job market though.

The extra money doesn’t wash out of the system over night.

Everyone keeps talking about UE, but no one seems to care about the last Biden check coming this month.

Surely everyone has kids that live at home. :thinking:

1 Like

Oh right, aren’t we paying out 350 a month per kid now too?

2 Likes

Correction: It’s not the presidents saying so. It’s the BLS stats. If you have a problem with that, bring it up to them not POTUS.

Allan

Did you get paid to do manual labor, or were you sitting around playing on your phone for an 8 hour shift? Because every time I roll past McDonalds, there are 2 lines around the store and the employees are busting their asses WORKING. And it’s not 10 people standing at a grill flipping burgers.

Why is stressful, manual labor less deserving of an honest day’s pay just because it’s deemed “low skill”? Not even that, but why do we justify paying people who WORK HARD as little as possible?

I think what we’re seeing right now goes beyond the boring UE talking point. With the cost of everything going up, people are going to be choosier now when looking for employment. They’re not going to accept being treated like ■■■■ for ■■■■ wages.

The places that perpetually have just hiring signs in their windows, that have to close their doors 2-3 days a week? There’s a reason places like that are desperate right now.

1 Like

I think it’s 250 per. I’ve been getting 750 checks for the last few months.

Did any libs even start a thread complaining about how arrogant it is for the Kid Sniffer to put his name on those checks? Isn’t that raising the (D)eficit or something? :thinking:

1 Like

Umm, McDonalds was plenty busy when I worked there as a kid. And the reason the pay is low is because you can train anyone to do it in a day or two. Virtually nobody stays a McDonalds burger flipper their whole lives.

That can be said of a plethora of “high skilled” jobs.

When you were a kid, a quarter could get a movie ticket a burger combo. Wages haven’t kept up since then.

Not having to make change.

Using icons instead of words.

Skilled labor.

2 Likes

That’s not true either.

Why have prices risen? What drives them up? We had a good discussion about this the other day.

1 Like

While I agree with this sentiment, the reality is that our economy is driven by spending. If people can’t afford to take their families to McDonald’s or the mom and pop restaurants, then it doesn’t matter what the burger flipper makes. McDonald’s, and especially those mom and pop businesses will not hire and/ or close. When the government artificially raises wages, and increases taxes on businesses, EVERYONE is affected by higher costs which leads to a downward hit on the economy.

It is not a function of government to create jobs or equity. Redistribution of money ALWAYS results in misery for a population, it NEVER raises society up.

3 Likes

Please remember that all labor department numbers are fake during a dem presidency.