What's the dems solution to the trade deficit?

Where are most countries that practice protectionism in their economic evolution?

For some reason libs can’t answer questions, they can only ask them…

I at least read the article I linked to, so I’ve put up more effort than yourself.

You wanted to know why countries subsidize, and I gave you an article explaining some reasons why we do it.

The shortest answer is that countries want these businesses to thrive in their country, so they prop them up with subsidies. We do it, almost every country does it. I don’t personally agree with it as a fiscal conservative, but I accept the reality of it.

That said, do you agree we should drop all subsidies that protect US interests?

I’m good with it. especially when that is the stance that much of the rest of the world had taken against us.

I’m all for stopping subsidy to American business, unless it effects national security. But I don’t consider tariffs, a subsidy, it’s a tax…

Tariffs have the exact same effect as a subsidy.

Read this:

Then you will know far more than Trump does about what “trade deficits” mean. That’s not saying anything, of course, but you will be more informed.

Some excerpts:

and:

2 Likes

The NYT hates Trumps and hires open racists, so they are not objective…

Who gives a ■■■■ it describes the dem position on trade deficits. You asked for an subjective analysis and then cried Bias? Fascinating

Lol you guys are squarely on the side of actual leftists now re: tariffs and ■■■■■ It is to lol.

The question inherently assumes that trade deficits are bad.

Trump Tariffs is a big reason why I am glad that I am no longer registered Republican.

1 Like

Both are a form of protectionism. One makes buying foreign goods more costly, which is supposed to incentivize the purchasing of domestic alternatives that might cost more without the tariffs. The other assures that a business will still have a source of income should they be unable to sell their goods on the free market, or to boost income to help a business thrive.

As you might have noted in the trade war thread, the price of domestic steel increased with the tariffs. So now all steel costs more, not just the foreign steel. I predicted as much. The only winners in that are the government (tariffs) and the domestic steel mills (increased profits). All consumers of steel lose.

1 Like

The answer to your question is contained in the answer to mine.

Socratic Method and all that.

No they haven’t.

That’s just the spin that’s been given to you.

Was there something in the piece you can identify as “biased”?

Good post. Can you give examples?

Only Trump sycophants think that trade deficits are fundamentally bad, because dear leader said so; it can make you sound tough and frame everyone as “winners and losers”.

Johnny buys more apples from Bob, than Bob buys diamonds from Johnny, because Bob is a poor dude just making ends meat. Not to mention Johnny really only sells financial consulting services anyway. Johnny has a trade deficit with Bob… OH NO… TIME FOR A TRADE WAR!

Negative trade deficits for the USA are really an indicator of wealth and consumption.