What should we do to make elections more believable again?

We have to sign the voter’s registry before we are given our ballot and that signature is matched against our ID signature.

Even before we had Voter ID we had to do the same and it was checked against our voter registration card.

2 Likes

Mail in balloting which was hurriedly thrown together this year vs forty plus years of absentee ballot process.

Every network device in between. Not necessarily servers.

But it doesn’t matter. No humans at all. Easily encrypted and non-repudiation in full effect.

OK, that’s you.

I’m not you and don’t live in your state.

I can say that I haven’t had to sign anything to cast a vote in 22-years. Last time I had to sign something was when I was still on active duty using a mail-in ballot.
.WW, PSHS

Anything sent via internet is at risk of being intercepted and/or altered.

And nobody said the same standards apply in every state so what is your issue?

Of course. Is it more or less risk than the current system? I’ll save you time. It’s less, if implemented correctly.

I voted by mail from 1978 to 1998. Never had a problem.

Now, I will say that there was an order’s of magnitude increase in mail-in balloting this year because of the pandemic. Election Officials and Legislators need to do an after action report for this year and examine what worked and what caused problems and make adjustments.
.WW, PSHS

were dominion machines connected to the internet?

and thats why no one ever gets their identity hacked huh? lol

Don’t have one. Someone claimed that ballots were signed, they aren’t. Someone claimed you had to sign something as part of executing a vote (not registering, but actually voting), that may applicable in some states, but in other states they don’t.

Other than that just having a discussion, so what’s your issue?
.WW, PSHS

You certainly can’t show that to be true.

Paper ballots, bio-metric ID, independent observers supervising the process and the counting is about as simple as it gets.

Your attitude.

OK, that’s you.

I’m not you and don’t live in your state.

Nobody said it’s the same in every state and that’s part of the problem and why some of us have been calling for national standards including bio-metric security for a couple of decades.

Secure the vote and restore faith in the system.

They say no…

What does that have to do with anything?

If you think the same system used for your gmail account will be used for voting… lol.

Identify theft mostly happens outside of the internet.

Sure I can.

When you vote today… do you get a receipt with a specialize code on it verifying that you voted and who you voted for?

That’s super complex. Ripe for fraud.

That recipt is meaningless unless every voter puts them in a pile for verification against the final vote tally.

It is neither complex nor “rip” for fraud.

English is rapidly becoming a dead language.

I support national standards for federal elections and think it can go a long way to removing confusion and building confidence in the election process. I’m keeping some notes to write to by Congress critters about.

Voting Counts Act

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 4
The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Place of Chusing Senators.

Given the fuster cluck of 2020, IMHO Congress should take up and pass legislation to guarantee the right that valid ballots are counted during federal elections. Some things I’d like to see addressed follow.

Voter Registration Commission:
Establishment of a bipartisan commission consisting of equal numbers of State Secretaries of State and equal number of Congressional representatives split between Senators and Representatives. In addition the commission will include recognized legal scholars with a demonstrated expertise in election law. The Post Master General of the United States would be a commission member but limited to providing input on and voting on matters pertaining to the United States Postal Service (USPS).

The commission’s charter would be to analyze and provide input on proposed legislation to establish a national Voter Registration Clearing House (VRCH) under the preview of the Federal Elections Commission. The VRCH would integrate information from State level vital statistics agencies (births/marriages/deaths), the Social Security Administration, Internal Revenue Service, State level Departments of Motor Vehicles, State Level Voter Registration systems and include Technology Experts in the field of data management and security. State level Departments of State responsible for maintaining voter registrations would be able to access the VRCH to identify:
(A) Persons actively registered in the state who are deceased,
(B) Persons actively registered in the state who have changed their residence either outside the state or to a different voting district inside the State, and
(C ) Persons whose right to vote has either been removed by due process of the law or restored by the State restricting the right.
(D) As a data source for State election agencies to notify people of removal from voter rolls due to change of residency.

Vote by Mail Protections:
(A) State would be required to count valid votes received up to X days (I’m fine with 3) after Election Day as long as they are delivered directly from the USPS to election officials. Such ballots are required to be either postmarked by Election Day or certified by the USPS to have been in their possession by Election Day. (Overseas and Military ballots exempt, they are covered under current Federal law.)
(B) The USPS will be required to prioritize the delivery of mail-in ballots.
(C ) The USPS will be required to segregate and quarantine all mail-in ballots collected on or before election day no matter when collected.
(D) The USPS will be required to keep all mail-in ballots collected after election day separate and quarantined from those ballots received on or before election day and must be delivered to election officials in separate containers from any mail-in ballot received on or before election day.
(E ) The USPS will be required to certify that mail-in ballots received on or before election day were in the possession of the USPS on or before election day to prevent ballot rejection for an illegible postmark. Once certified by the USPS a ballot will be considered valid with or without a postmark caused by USPS error.

Vote Drop Off for Other Persons:
Persons who receive a mail-in ballot and are physically unable to place the ballot in a USPS mail box or official drop box established by local election officials can designate an individual to place the sealed mail in ballot in an authorized container (mail or official drop box established by election officials) for the purpose of providing the ballot to election officials. Such third party transportation of ballots would be restricted in by the following:
(A) The ballot caster is required to complete the ballot, any documentation of information, and seal both the internal security envelope and outer delivery envelope.
(B) The person authorizing delivery must provide such authorization in writing which will be part of the ballot package. The authorizing individual must provide all of the following: Legal name of the person being authorized, address, social security number or State ID (driving or non-driving ID), and relationship. Non-related individual must provide their voter registration number.
(C ) A legal spouse, legal parent, legal guardian, sibling or child may transport and deliver a mail-in ballot for any legal spouse, legal parent, sibling or child without restriction but must still be documented and identified by the person authorizing the delivery.
(D) A person that is not a legal spouse, legal parent, legal guardian, sibling or child of the person casting the vote may deliver a mail-in ballot for another person when authorized and documented by the person casting the vote but may provide deliver assistance to no more than 5 persons. A person may only provide such assistance if they are a registered voter in the same precinct as the voter and must provide their voter registration number.
(E ) A person that is not a legal spouse, legal parent, legal guardian, sibling or child of the person casting the vote will be in violation of Federal election law and subject to criminal prosecution for a misdemeanor subject to a $500 dollar fine per instance over 5 and up to 1-year of incarceration total per instance of illegal ballot delivery.

Vote Counting:
(A) Local election officials are authorized and encouraged to perform security pre-screening of mail-in and drop box ballots upon receipt of the ballot package and are not required to wait until Election Day to start that process.
(B) Pre-screening should be commenced as early as practicable so that ballot inconsistencies can be addressed, the voter contacted to and corrective action taken.
(C ) After pre-screen the inner ballot envelop will be clearly marked as either “Accepted” or “Rejected”. Accepted ballots will be grouped separately from rejected ballots to facilitate security and counting.
(D) Accepted security envelopes will be opened and counted on or after election day subject to normal vote counting.

.WW, PSHS

Really? When databases are hacked millions of identities can be stolen at a time.

does it happen on the internet?