What should the US do about Mexico's BRICS application?

Dang nabbit, I was getting my ol’ timey imperialists confused I wanted to say Conrad.

Regardless, Kiolkng makes the point as well that citing long dead imperialists and white supremacists to explain modern conditions anywhere probably isn’t the flex some think it is.

1 Like

You seem to be implying that the US should respect Mexico’s sovereignty. I am indicating that this is not what they do with us. They are in no position to complain.

We should merely negotiate with Mexico about our concerns. That is as far as it goes.

We can’t make them do anything from a legal standpoint. They are an independent country and can choose their own destiny.

But we do have a right to voice our security concerns in a dialogue with the Mexican government.

It’s not rare where I live it’s the norm.

Umm is that Churchill or Kipling or everyone who is not a Marxist?

It’s not “comparatively rare” anywhere. That whole post is hog wash.

1 Like

I’ve read or heard somewhere that Mexico’s labor costs 1/3 as much as China’s, so they are probably going to have us over a barrel to keep getting cheap goods.

Regardless of what Mexico has done or not done, there is no upside to the US implementing sanctions against Mexico.

Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.

Let 'em do it.

1 Like

I could go along with living in a republic like that with one condition. California has to go.

A poll from 2008 showed that most Mexicans believe that the southwest US belongs to Mexico.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/most-mexicans-believe-chunk-us-belongs-them

The US has used historical disputes and past injustices as the basis to instigate wars in the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

What happens when China or Russia does the same sort of thing in North America?

lol what left wing domestic extremism are you experiencing so regularly ?

No, I don’t think so.

Good ol’ competition. Proximity alone guarantees continued engagement and trade with the USA. Like it or not, Mexico is stuck.

Monroe is spinning in his grave

I s’pose the US could do what it does best, engineer the overthrow of the current government by the worst criminal elements in the country.

1 Like

Just ask ChatGPT

“Let’s back the crazies” has long been a strategy for provoking civil war in other nations.

The US did that in Afghanistan by back Islamic extremists that became Al Qaeda. It has done that in Ukraine by backing Azov and similar groups.

Of course, Al Qaeda ended up attacking the US. The result was a multitrillion-dollar war on terror and vastly expanded surveillance powers for the government.

This policy has created unnecessary wars that have been a huge cost for the American people and resulted in destruction of nations overseas, but the policy has been a huge benefit to the military-industrial complex and intel agencies.

Will the US pursue similar policies to destabilize Mexico if it gets too cozy with China?

Has it already been laying the groundwork?

No. An (even more) disordered Mexico is not in America’s interest.

Mexico has become the home of industrial plants that used to be in the US, so you may well be right.

The US is more likely to pursue policies of intimidation and subversion to get what it wants. Civil war in Mexico is not in the interest of US corporations.

It didn’t mention US 2020.