What is the general Christian breakdown of the community?

Unfortunately, I was limited to five choices on the poll, which required me to consolidate stuff together, such as Anglicanism with Catholicism.

Registered pastafarian and dudeism minister

I know. It would have been the same for me if youā€™d had 20 choices. :slight_smile:

I have Abrahamic tendencies in my Christian beliefs. I doubt if any Christian church identifies with my beliefs.

Dude, youā€™re a fellow dudeist. I know another Dudeist minister. He has married several couples.

Technically Iā€™m evangelical protestant as Iā€™m still a member of a Southern Baptist church, but post 2016 Iā€™m trying to distance myself from that group - so I consider myself mainline Protestant now.

Nope. Protestants came from the reformation, all splitting from the Roman Catholic church. Christianity existed outside the Catholic Church before the reformation.

I would note that Anabaptism arose during the Protestant Reformation, but Anabaptists do NOT consider themselves Protestant and were heavily persecuted by Catholics and Protestants alike in the years after the Reformation.

Anabaptism is essentially a separate branch of Christianity, as is Protestantism, Orthodox-ism and Catholicism.

There were other Christians too, the Waldenses for example. The Roman Catholic church didnā€™t exist until centuries after Christ either.

1 Like

i married one

:+1: Abide

Jesus was a Mahayana Buddhist, trying to convert Jews. Was born and confirmed a Lutheran. Jesus introduced me to the Buddha and my faith in the Supreme Law.

I know this to be true.

1 Like

Good post. Protestant seems to be a name the Catholic Church gives everyone else.

I reject that classification and consider myself just a Christian.

Iā€™m not protesting the Catholic Church (donā€™t pay much attention to them to be honest) but rather trying to follow the scriptures and worship in a similar manner to how the 1st century church did as described in Acts and other NT books.

The Roman Catholic Church was not very happy when people started questioning and leaving their church. It was hard to question when most people couldnā€™t read and were persecuted, tortured, jailed or threatened with excommunication if they questioned their priests or Pope. Naturally, anyone who called themselves Christian outside of Roman Catholicism was branded a heretic. Odd, because the Roman Catholic church didnā€™t come into existence until a few hundred years after Jesus was crucified. What about all the people who were following Christ before then?

1 Like