What is the general Christian breakdown of the community?

• Catholic (including Latin Rite and other splinter groups)(also including Anglican/Episcopalian)
  • Orthodox (any variety)
  • Protestant (mainline)
  • Protestant (evangelical)
  • Other Christian (anything that doesn’t fit in the above, such as Anabaptist, Mormon, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Salvation Army and other churches that more or less identify as Christian)

0 voters

Because polls are limited to five options, I placed Anglican/Episcopalian with Catholic, as they are far closer to Catholics in belief and doctrine than to Protestants.

Mainly, just idly curious as to the general breakdown on the board between Catholics and Protestants. I know there is a significant Catholic presence, which frequently expresses itself in the religious forum, doesn’t seem to be quite as much of a Protestant presence.

Again, just idle curiosity, nothing more.

There is definitely a pretty big atheist contingent here, I do see some Evangelicals of varying persuasions here as well.

It’s a political debate forum. You always find atheists, agnostics, and deists on political forums.

I’m a deist personally. But I was raised in a Protestant Church, specifically Methodist. So much of my basic morality is derived from Methodist theology, even though I disagree with the church on a lot of issues.

Raised Protestant.

Accepted Islam years ago.

Have been a terrible practitioner, and don’t feel particularly comfortable with organized religion any more.

Will just refer to myself as a diest, haven’t found a comfortable path.

Deist…but don’t tell anyone.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet money most American political junkies are deists.

Hell my self reading of the life and political ideology of Thomas Jefferson is what led to me a deist style belief system in the first place.

The guy most heavily influenced both my religious views and my Internal political ideology.

Philosophically I lean towards a broad general theism, although I tend to be rather agnostic on many theological types of issues.

My impression being in a number of different political forums over the years is that most liberals who are political junkies are atheists with conservatives being Christian.

I dunno. I’ve ran into a lot of conservative atheists on forums over the years.

That said, I think it just depends on a lot of factors. Social conservatives are almost universally Christian. Libertarian-Conservatives are typically deists or agnostic with a few atheist sprinkled in.

I’m neither Catholic, not Protestant. I’m a Baptist…

Atheist…Even as a young child, religion never made any sense to me.

Raised Unitarian, now an atheist Unitarian.

Allan

Dudeist.

Abide

I don’t feel like “deism” is a meaningful word.

Which would make you a Protestant.

Protestants are Christians who are not members of either the Catholic Church or the Orthodox movement.

I was raised I’m Catholic, but I accept perennialism now. I am interested in hearing what @Guvnah and @Meriweather have to say about that.

It’s extremely vague. I’ll say that.

My personal view is that something created the fundamental forces behind nature and the universe. Some higher power.

I do not believe that this higher power is personal or has relations with the universe it created.

It’s always used to signify a belief in Christian-like God and nothing else. Well what about Jewish deism or Islamic deism?

It’s a way for people who would otherwise be atheists to say that they believe in God or it functions as the last tie they have to an Abrahamic faith after cutting away everything else.

I have nothing to say about it. Not sure why you called me out for comment here.