What happen (politically) if a majority of the senate votes to convict

As a matter of interest how do the Senators cast their vote at the end of the trial. Is it a secret ballot or does each individual Senator need to declare publicly their vote? Also, is it possible to abstain?

I would love to see 90% of eligible Americans participate in an election at least once in my lifetime.

Publicly via a roll call vote.

I’d love to have a secret ballot for “what I really think”. LOLs

Say have each Senator issued two marbles, a black and a white. When they vote they state their public vote to go on record. Then they proceed to the well of the chamber where there is a table with two baskets with lids with “Black for Guilty” and “White for Not Guilty” signs. There is a hole on the top of each lid. The Senator reaches in to both baskets and releases a marble. One basket for guilty one for acquittal.

After the vote count the marbles and I GUARANTEE you the counts wouldn’t match.

Never happen though. :frowning:
.WW, PHS

1 Like

Likely that is correct. Pence looks much more like a mainstream Republican. However, the question is whether Trump’s base who will vote for him no matter what, would is on their hands if the Republican Party removed their hero?

Wasn’t the turnout for the two youngest demographics, 18-29 and 30-44, up by double digits in 2018 compared to 2014? If that trend continues and voters in those two age demographics see the benefit of a greater turnout it might result in increasingly higher turnouts going forward?

Thanks for the info @WorldWatcher

Somewhere I actually have some figures that would approximate an election where 100% of the eligible voting age population turned out. That means everybody that can be registered is registered and every registered voter actually votes.

3 or 4 voting cycles of that would create a very different United States from what we know now.

At the risk of eliciting comments that I don’t know what I am talking about because I am an Aussie, I think that movements like March for our Lives that have actively campaigned to get younger voters to register to vote and to vote will have a lasting impact.

That’s what I’m asking

Understood and it seems there are differences of opinion as to who will benefit.

NO it’s not possible since you need two-thirds majority which is 66.66666667 to convict and remove not a simple majority.

The key is easy registration. While its about 60% of voting age people vote in a presidential election - I seem to remember its actually like 85% of higher of those REGISTERED voted.

So it seems to be - the biggest reason people dont vote, is they aren’t registered. (or, of course, they aren’t registered cause they have no desire to ever vote)

Trump gets elected and republicans loss the senate.

Any republican that votes for impeachment are hoping that democrats retake the senate.

Mitt comes to mind…he would love nothing better to allow democrats to take the senate and shut Trump judicial picks down.

One possibility is that Democrats will take this as a cue to continue their Presidential campaign as purely a remove Trump campaign while Trump runs on the economy, immigration, deregulation and foreign policy.
And that may possibly be a mistake. Once not convicted, this will not be what most voters will care about, Just myh opinion, of course.

I agree in part and disagree in part.

#1 If the Senate processes a fake trial, I agree that will be used against them which just might mean losing the Senate.

#2 I disagree that Trump will run on the economy, immigration, deregulation and foreign policy. As we saw last time he will run a campaign based on personal attacks, insults, and scare tactics.

And that may possibly be a mistake. Once not convicted, this may be what most voters will care about as more information comes to light about Trumps use of the Oval Office for personal gain. Just myh opinion, of course.
.WW, PHS

1 Like

Not what he asked wolf…

After the process the House ran it is not possible for the Senate to run a process less fair.

The House will forever have the SCIFs, refusal of Presidential witnesses, and the trampling of the minority party at every opportunity.

I am just laughing at the show now.

:movie_camera:

It would be more blue than red.

SCIF’s used for preliminary depositions prior to public testimony were GOP members were allowed to be present and ask questions? Not a problem.

I agree, the Presidents refusal of allowing witnesses to testify will be problematic for him.

You mean following the same rules the GOP passed in preparation for Clinton winning? Ya, no problem with that either.
.WW, PHS

It was too much to get away with.

Everyone expects some tilt.

:camping: