What do you view as the reasons why the public masks mandates were ostensibly not very effective?

I am just saying it was done, not debating whether or not it should have been done. Although I do think it should have been done, just maybe not overdone like it was in many cases.

It was once again done by those who had no chance of suffering the consequences of their decisions just like always.

It’s real easy to say “shut it down” when it doesn’t cost you anything.

It was done to, not with.

5 Likes

Whether or not one thinks that there’s a ruling class who’s constantly looking to screw over the common folk, we did need some type of mitigation measures, didn’t we ?

I agree that just telling everyone to hunker down indefinitely is stupid and harmful.

we’re americans. give us the info and guidance and we’ll make our own choices.

give us guidance that says…

if you own a business, have your clientele socially distance outdoors and socially distance and mask indoors and you will have fulfilled your responsibility relieving you of any claims of negligence.

then its up to the business.

1, operate as safely as possible following guidance and be secure from liability
2. continue normal operations and risk liability
3. shut down.

2 Likes

You doubt there’s a ruling class? How about asking instead of ordering? How about honesty instead of lying?

3 Likes

What about social gatherings like parties and such ? I think we had to do something from government perspective to buy us some time and not risk overwhelming our hospitals.

By ruining people’s lives? And it’s still going on.

1 Like

LOL come on…

Almost sounds like Rashida Tlaib’s ideas on law enforcement. Let’s “abolish” policing and “ask” criminals to not do bad things, ok ?

No, not by ruining people’s lives.

Maybe she’s right. Is authoritarianism the only way for everybody?

Are we all criminals?

We allowed it.

Really good post.

keep your government forces out of my house. i am perfectly capable of following the guidance on my own.

at first, before we knew the pattern of spread, it made sense to take action to keep from overwhelming hospitals. once we knew how to deal with it, which was pretty early on, they weren’t in much danger anyway. i didn’t say mitigation wasn’t necessary, mandating it was unnecessary. give us the info and guidance, and then go back to your office. we got it from there.

No, not all of us are criminals. But some of us are. And I’d rather not have those on an honor system. Ergo, some form of government by force is necessary, not just “asking”.

So, I can’t stress this enough - I was and am against draconian lockdowns. I think in many cases, they did more harm than good, destroying businesses, causing substance abuse and depression and leaving people dependent on government. But some measures needed to be done.

You may be. Some others, not so much.

also, not my problem. fear of what others might or might not do does not justify tyranny against all. the point is enough people would have that hospital systems would have never been in danger. mitigation efforts were never meant to protect anyone from covid, they were meant to protect the health care system from being overwhelmed. i don’t need the government to protect me from myself.

2 Likes

How do we know that ?

because where there were no mandates, hospitals didn’t collapse. in fact, they came closest to it where there were mandates.

At one point, wasn’t there a mandate practically everywhere on the planet , like previously mentioned ? Even Sweden enacted some restrictions.

And edit it in to original.