What do you view as the main reason for the surge in worldwide Coronavirus case counts?

Said no one anywhere.

Are you sure DAILY fatalities are increasing?

I’m not. Looks like generally down with some spikes based at least in part on reporting logistics.

1 Like

I deleted that post as I was mistaken

Mod Note

As you have been repeatedly told, all foreign language requires an English translation in the same post.

Looks like a steady decline.

Your attempted analogy is a waste of time, I reject any comparison you attempt to make of me and anything.

I also highly doubt you’ve ever met a “West Texan” in your life.

2 Likes

There are some peaks. I would also expect more peaks given the increase in new cases.

Just perfect.

Thank you for adding the translation.

There is an interesting mass thought process occurring here, I believe.

There seems to be the idea that we are failing because of “new case” numbers? If so, that is a mistake in my opinion. We have no control over exposure short of complete isolation.

Think about it. You can walk into a testing facility, be tested negative and as you are walking out become infected. Not knowing it and infect several others as an asymptomatic carrier.

New cases is a bad metric for “failure”. We are all going to test positive eventually if we test long enough.

Understanding that nobody wants to get sick, is “positive” really the problem? Do we really mind having the flu for one day if it “isn’t that bad”? Or is dying and long term effects really the problem?

I say the latter.

Of course increased cases mean increased strain on the medical system, so we need to continue to work to save the hospitals. Social distance, hand washing, masks, etc. This so that those who do need medical intervention have a bed. Fundamentals and principles.

Dr. Birx came out this week and said she thinks the spike is being caused by people moving their small gatherings indoors due to the colder weather. Makes some sense to me, but as with most things with a virus, it’s just a guess.

Criticizing people for less than 100% compliance with operator-dependent mitigations (and that’s all they are) using new cases as a metric is ridiculous. Especially after this long.

When your plan consists of “100% of the people will wear masks (or any other behavior) 100% correctly 100% of the time” you have already set your self up for failure.

Much has been made of “positivity rate”. What does the metric measure? From what I have seen, it’s “adequate testing is being performed”. Is this a good metric to measure the problem? If so, how? I could see it if everyone was being tested on some type of regular basis, but that’s not the case at all. And my suspicion is fewer and fewer people will test as time goes on.

We seem to be attempting to prevent exposure to a respiratory virus in order to control an outcome and declaring failure when we don’t prevent it.

While we (including the experts) guess at what behaviors are “causing” the exposure. Breathing is causing the exposure. Life. Living.

As for the politicization of it all, that is inevitable. The system is designed to politicize everything, exacerbated by our dependence. There is no way an epidemic is not going to be political.

It is going to be divisive - in no small part due to variations in risk tolerance. Even if every single person over the age of 50 agreed and complied 100%, those under 30 would create their own program - and I’m not sure they shouldn’t. Their risk level is much different than mine or a 70 year-old with multiple conditions. Why should they stop living because of me?

I’m not sure we are focused on what the problem truly is or the right metrics. But it doesn’t matter, as we are all going to use the metrics we need to confirm our bias anyway.

Just my opinion.

4 Likes

We are going into the cold season where more people congregate indoors. I believe, just like the flu, the increased indoor activity will result in higher numbers. While covid19 didn’t disappear in the warmer months, as the flu does, I believe the downturn was due to more outdoor activity as a result of the warmer weather.

All my opinion of course.

“Particularly, it is the inability or unwillingness of U.S. officials to adapt or improve the federal response over the course of the pandemic that has strongly contributed to the nation’s uniquely high Covid-19 fatality rate,” they added.

The actual study is linked in the above article.

In essence it concludes the US did not do enough to create a national coordinated response so that all 50 states reacted the same way. Had this one thing been done an estimated 130 thousand lives could have been saved.

This is actual men and women in public health…not politicians, but people in public health who have done this study. Put politics in it if you want. I have a masters in public health, and I believe what they say.

It’s a very learned and smart opinion.

That is exactly what happened.

A post was merged into an existing topic: General Off-Topic Slop from Various Threads +fd

I think it would be worse without them.

the propagandists need to scare more people

give up your freedom

Another 4-6 months of isolation and lockdowns 1/3rd of the population will be like this and a whole new problem will arrive.

5 Likes

Benton county?

No…Lake

I’m from Tippecanoe county. We are having a spike in cases too. 82 yesterday which is extremely high…